Heckmania

Recommend Hardware and Software

My company is very interested in purchasing a digital camcorder for use in an immediate project. The video camera will be a tool for use in capturing real-time frame data, time/date stamped if possible, to determine where to look in a timeline for an event captured on our IR detector (they will sit side-by-side). We will also need recommendations for frame-based software editing.
    Requirements:
    1. Access to real time, uncompressed data directly from the camera.
    2. Time stamp per frame
    3. Ability to disable auto- functions, like auto exposure
    4. Full field of view in degrees for both the normal lens and a wide angle lens (if available)
    5. Lenses that are swapped rather than converters or add-ons; if add-ons only, what kind of optical degradation would they have?
    6. Power consumption
    7. Large batteries available for field use
    8. Connection type preferred is camera wire; if not, what connections are available
    9. Edit directly, frame by frame, in the camera from a computer via the above cable
    10. Operation in a variety of field conditions, including vibrating and low light
    11. Standard tripod threading mount
    12. Remote control software
    13. Editing software
    Thank you for your help -- Heckmania

Hmmm.. I don't think we discuss about security cameras in this forum. Is that what you are asking for?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Heckmania

Recommend Camera and Software

No, I don't need a security camera. We are testing our own detector and we want the video camera to run simultaneously with our IR detector to provide the visual display for any timeline sequence.

Quote: heckmania
    View Post
    No, I don't need a security camera. We are testing our own detector and we want the video camera to run simultaneously with our IR detector to provide the visual display for any timeline sequence.
    so any camera with outputs should do right?
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Heckmania

Recommend Camera and Software

I am asking if any camera will do and which software editing package should be used. My questions are:
    2. Time stamp per frame
    4. Full field of view in degrees for both the normal lens and a wide angle lens (if available)
    5. Lenses that are swapped rather than converters or add-ons; if add-ons only, state optical degradation
    6. Large batteries available for field use
    7. Connection type preferred is camera wire; if not, what connections are available?
    8. Edit directly, frame by frame, in the camera from a computer via the above cable
    9. Operation in a variety of field conditions, including vibrating and low light
    10. Remote control with software / "trigger"

Quote: heckmania
    View Post
    Requirements:
    2. Time stamp per frame
    5. Lenses that are swapped rather than converters or add-ons; if add-ons only, what kind of optical degradation would they have?
    6. Power consumption
    7. Large batteries available for field use
    8. Connection type preferred is camera wire; if not, what connections are available
    9. Edit directly, frame by frame, in the camera from a computer via the above cable
    10. Operation in a variety of field conditions, including vibrating and low light
    11. Standard tripod threading mount
    12. Remote control software
    13. Editing software
    From the stringent requirements, esp no. 5, you have nicely eliminated all consumer and many prosumer cameras. Based on this requirement alone, you have the Canon procam (eg XL2) series and the JVC GY-HD series to consider only.Just remember they're not small cameras.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    From the stringent requirements, esp no. 5, you have nicely eliminated all consumer and many prosumer cameras. Based on this requirement alone, you have the Canon procam (eg XL2) series and the JVC GY-HD series to consider only.Just remember they're not small cameras.
    they are quite expensive too......but very good
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!