Camcorder to pc help

Hi, New here, matter of fact this is my first post. After searching high and low to no avail, I decided to join and post the question on this forum. I have a Sharp viewcam (model VL-AH50) with only a single audio/video port and a Dc in port for the adapter. I want to transfer my home movies from my camcorder to my computer which has no firewire port. Only
    USB 2.0 and a line in jack (I believe that is what it is called) I do have another laptop that has an S-video jack as well. I bought a universal DVD connection kit (which stated perfect for laptops) and hooked my Camcorder to the connector using yellow and white adaptors and then connected it to my camcorder using the single prong A/v jack
    I then hooked my S-video cable to the connector and the other end to my comp. I searched for a video capture device but my comp could not detect one. (used windows movie maker to do this). Can anyone help me out ? Possibly walk me through the connection process step by step including any additional equipment that i may need

Thanks in Advance,
    GiGi

In my opinion you would be a lot better of buying a PCI firewire card for your computer. They are very cheap now and usually come with a copy of Ulead video studio which is a great editing software for learning with.

You can also get firewire adapters for laptops that connect through the pcmia slot.

Firewire is a far superior way of connecting a dv device to any laptop or computer.

Thanks for responding. So there is no way around buying a firewire card huh? I guess I will start looking or one for my laptop. Will this still pose a problem since my obviously outdated camcorder only has a single audio/video jack?

Hi Gigi, as westie's pointed out, a firewire card is an important & reliable component in video capturing. And your question about your camcorder is valid and must be addressed too.

But in order to understand your situation better, you did not mention how you attached the Universal DVD connection kit onto your laptop... all I understand is your attaching it to the camcorder... it'll be good if you can explain a little more or post a picture of the current setup.

A possible solution (but be prepared to pay a small fortune)
    Having a firewire card is no good if you cannot output your video in firewire (you have pointed out tt there's no firewire port from your camcorder), so there's a need for an 'in-between' device to communicate the info from the Hi8 camera to the computer. A device from Canopus, ADVC55, could be the answer. It's about USD220 I think. Certainly not that cheap, but a useful tool for analogue to digital setup.

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC55/index.php

It's available in bhphoto, which some friends from the States recommend (since you have put your location as in NY, I suppose that's New York).

The other option, get the firewire card, and look out for second-hand D8 cameras on sale (most models can playback tapes recorded in analogue Hi8 form and have a firewire Input/Output). Only thing I have to declare, I personally don't buy 2nd hand electronics (almost all the time).

However, DO read the specifications required and if possible try it out before purchase. What if you buy all the sutff and realise your laptop cannot edit in the first place!?!

Let us know if you have more questions. Not tt we have the answers, but with whatever time available, we can think along with you.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Sorry Gigi, my bad. I thought your camcorder had firewire.

Nagar has some good advice there for you.

I'd like to add that i captured video from my old Hi8 Sony analogue camcorder for awhile using a cheap pci tv capture card from Leadtek. It was a Leadtek tv 2000 deluxe to be exact. Although it is a cheap way of getting the analogue footage onto your computer the results can be poor and there can be a lot of problems getting it to work. Luckily i had great results and no compatibility problems. You do need to have a reasonably fast computer or laptop as that particular card uses software encoding.
    The ideal way to do it if you can afford it is to use a Canopus device as nagar suggests. They really are very good. Better still, buy a digital camcorder that supports analogue to digital pass through like the Canon mvx250i that i ended up buying. It does a very good job. That way you kill two birds with one stone. You get to convert your footage and you have a digital camcorder.

Nagar, I stated that I hooked the connection kit to my laptop using the s-video port on the kit and the one on my laptop. Thanks for all of your replies. I certaily don't want to spend a small fortune lol. I may as well just bite the bullet and get a new digicam.

I think that's a wise decision. It's possible for you to transfer your old tapes from the Sharp viewcam to the new digicam, so it'll be wiser not to purchase a D8 cam (phasing out really fast, perhaps only in my region) and get a MiniDV cam instead. Looking forward to hearing more about your purchase.

Going back to the connectors, the S-video jack on laptops are meant for output (eg rigging it onto a projector/TV with S-video input) not input.
    Loong . Singapore

Thanks so very much Nagar.

You're welcome GiGi. Feel free to contribute or ask if you stumble upon more discoveries. Have lots of fun.
    Loong . Singapore