KarlKawano

Recording with a projection screen

Hi,

Let me preface this with - this is the first video I have ever done...

I recently recorded a video of a company presentation. One problem I had was the projector screen showing a Powerpoint presentation dramatically changed the lighting. The ambient light in the room was average but the projector really changed the effect on the video. One trick that seemed to work was to switch the iris to manual. I tried to adjust the best I could but there was such a large difference in the room between the ambient light and the projector that I am looking for other options for next year when I have to do this again. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced...

Karl

Blog Entries

Re: Recording with a projection screen

Can you tell us a bit about what you need to achieve with the video? e.g. who is the video's intended audience and what do you want them to get from it? Are you concentrating on the screen presentation or is the speaker/audience more important?

Anyway, if you are able to use more than one camera and edit the video, my suggestion would be...

Have at least two cameras - one shooting the speaker/audience and one framed on the projector screen. Set the projector shot up and leave it. Edit this shot into the video later at the appropriate points.

Another option could be to take a video feed directly from the projector and record it on a tape or disk.

If you can't use more than one camera, and you need to move between the screen and the room, then you'll need to get good with that manual iris

-dave

bare bones solution

If you are able to get a couple of clamp on light set up so they shine on either side of your subject your picture will improve. I know the ancient Panasonic I use DOSE NOT like contrasts in the picture.

Also you can adjust your iris. They discuss it in the video section here: http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camera/exposure/

It shows a girl in front of a bright window and another shot with the iris opened up. Then there is the digital gain feature on a lot of cameras which can have a similar effect with some image quality loss.

It really depends on if you have time and facilities for editing. If you do then the previously posted suddgestion is best. Espesially if money is at stake.