Firewire hardware for XHA1 to PC transfer?

Basically, I'm using a Canon XH-A1 and I need to get the files on my pc running Windows XP sp2. I'm using Sony vegas for editing.

What Firewire adapter would you recommend? Will different adapters greatly effect video quality?

I found this one but have no idea if its any good:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Any advice?

PS. Sorry, I know there are tons of posts like this but I can't find any hardware recommendations.

To be frank, reliability and affordability are what I look out for in these stuff. From the cheaper options to the one you have highlighted (a D-Link), I don't find any difference in the quality when digitizing. I may be wrong though, since I've not worked with ALL firewire PCI cards. The cards I've worked with ranges from below USD30 to others above.

Something to note are the different ports being offered on the different cards that fluctuates pricing. It ranges with only firewire port/s and also combo with USB 2.0 ports. (the one you chose has 3? Useful if you intend to daisy-chain it to ext drives/HDD so you don't have to keep changing the connections. I face that many times)

As for whether it's firewire 400/800, just get the 400. 800 will be fantastic for daisy-chain and ext HDD. Not really for digitizing. Again I may be wrong, but I've not seen a 4 pin (the output on your cam) to 9 pin (firewire 800) wire yet (either it doesn't exist, or it's too rare, which means it'll cost!).
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

you can find the 4 pin to the 9 pin if you look around. nager is right though. It will be more then you want to pay for it. The D-Link that you have picked out there is a good one for that price. I would say that even tho you have no idea what you were looking for, you did a great job picking it out. You will not be disappointed In the firewire adapter. I have one question for you though. How old is that computer? Are you sure that it will handle vid editing? What is the ram on it? and memory. I dont want to scare you, just to let you know that vid production is takes ALOT of Memory.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

kawsakimx6, My PC is less then a year old. It has about 1.5 GB of ram, and 80 GB hard drive. I think I'm ok for ram but how much hard drive space do you recommend?

I was also looking at the following card (simply because its cheaper and I could just pick it up instead of ordering from b&h).
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1074787927900

What do you think?

The card looks ok. I think your computer should be able to take it, just whether you've checked if your motherboard can take another device on PCI slot.

How much spare you need depends on how much work and projects you want to keep in your computer. Taking aside about 20G for a comfortable buffer for your OS & applications, can you spare at least another 50G for project? That can comfortably keep 2 if not (max-ed out possibly) 3 concurrent SD (Standard Def, not HD) projects requiring serious editing, each lasting about 15 min or less. Currently I work with a 120G internal HDD not incl an ext HDD.

Your turn to do your math.
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: LordZod
    View Post
    kawsakimx6, My PC is less then a year old. It has about 1.5 GB of ram, and 80 GB hard drive. I think I'm ok for ram but how much hard drive space do you recommend?

I was also looking at the following card (simply because its cheaper and I could just pick it up instead of ordering from b&h).
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1074787927900

What do you think?

Looks like you are ready to go. If you are going to be doing alot of editing, you may want to look into a External Hard Drive. But for now looks like you are ready to go!

and honestly, you really do not have a need for 3 Firewire plugins. i am at a professional Prod house, and my mac only has 2.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

I don't really need 3 but I cant find one with less then 3, although I really haven't looked that hard

Thanks for your help guys!

Well if I pay less for more (ports), why not? The port/s will be useful if you want to extend to a firewire ext HDD. And yeah, 2 ports are usually sufficient.
    Loong . Singapore