Oldie but a Newbie

how to play .flv from a remote server

Here's my project: I'm making guitar lesson videos. I can convert them to .flv, no problem. I can generate flash or html .swf no problem. I have a server.

But I want to play these lessons in a BB forum such as this on a different server using the player uploaded there. I need to know the steps in order to do this.

The web admin there, who also creates flash video lessons, only knows that he creates all and uploads to the same folder on his server. He says he includes the .swf plus this BB code ( [$flalesson]url of the embed .swf file[/$flalesson], no $ signs of course) within the text box.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to upload my .flv files to my server and remotely access them from his and just tweak the java or html loaded...somewhere.

Could someone help me out with the necessary steps? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Blog Entries
    The short answer is that you should be ale to do this simply by referencing the flv file with an absolute URL from the remote swf file.

If I read your message correctly you are talking about a specific player that they use on the remote forum. If so, I would need to know more about that player. There must be more to it than embedding the swf file - somehow the swf file must know which flv file to play. We need to know how it does that and replace it with your flv url.

Any chance of seeing a url for the forum/player?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Oldie but a Newbie
    Quote: Dave
    View Post
    The short answer is that you should be ale to do this simply by referencing the flv file with an absolute URL from the remote swf file.
    I was able to get the html swf file from the source code of a page at the forum. I tested this code and previewed the post. Sure enough, the player and the correct local video showed up. I tried simply to replace the current local video's relative url with my absolute (in both required lines) but when previewing, the player didn't even show up (well, the blank space for the skin did).

I then tried to do the same but add the vB code. Then two blank spaces for the player's skins showed.

View Post
    If I read your message correctly you are talking about a specific player that they use on the remote forum. If so, I would need to know more about that player. There must be more to it than embedding the swf file - somehow the swf file must know which flv file to play. We need to know how it does that and replace it with your flv url.

Any chance of seeing a url for the forum/player?
    Yes, I'm talking about a specific player that they use. Sure, http://www.guitarforbeginners.com is the site. But here's something even better, the url to the player. Maybe this will help (or not).

Thanks for your time, Dave.

Best wishes,

Steve

Blog Entries
    It doesn't look good. Here's an example of the code they are using the show the player:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="320" height="285" id="redstrat" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" /><param name="play" value="false" /><param name="loop" value="false" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#f1f1ef" /><embed src="lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" play="false" loop="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="285" name="redstrat" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </object>
    You can see the source file is "lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" which indicates a specific swf file just for this lesson.

After looking at a couple of other lessons I confirmed that each one uses a unique SWF file with no editable parameters related to the source. There is no way you can change the HTML code to make one of these play your own flv file. Rather, the video file must be hard-coded into each SWF file.

I think you need to talk to whoever created this system and ask them if they can create an option for you to do what you want. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to do something that is outside the player's design parameters.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Oldie but a Newbie
    Thanks Dave. I understand what you mean. I think the only way I could do this is if I have the same player software that allows me to input hard code for each set-up.

Thanks, and if I have some related questions on this I'll be sure to get with you. Thanks again for your time.

Steve

Oldie but a Newbie
    View Post
    It doesn't look good. Here's an example of the code they are using the show the player:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="320" height="285" id="redstrat" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" /><param name="play" value="false" /><param name="loop" value="false" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#f1f1ef" /><embed src="lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" play="false" loop="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="285" name="redstrat" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </object>
    You can see the source file is "lessons/bossa/gfb.swf" which indicates a specific swf file just for this lesson.

After looking at a couple of other lessons I confirmed that each one uses a unique SWF file with no editable parameters related to the source. There is no way you can change the HTML code to make one of these play your own flv file. Rather, the video file must be hard-coded into each SWF file.

I think you need to talk to whoever created this system and ask them if they can create an option for you to do what you want. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to do something that is outside the player's design parameters.
    Dave--

I do understand what you mean, but I'm probably missing some basics here so please be patient with me.

What do you mean by asking them if they can create an option for me to do what I want? I take it that the only option is to have the same exact software and hard code each swf file. Would the player file (he forwarded me the object file) have to reside within the same folder as well? Or can I just change the relative address to where the player file is?

Getting it all to work within the vB script is another animal entirely. He had problems but was finally able to make it work. As a test, I dl'd the mc player and uploaded the files/created a webpage to my own site. That all works fine; I used the javascript.

And I can create a pop-up window at that forum to play the file just fine. That's not my first choice, though. As another test, I placed the html swf code (I also tried the java code) in the vB forum but couldn't get anything to work. I'm beginning to wonder if the flash lesson vB command was written specifically for his benefit. Keep in mind he doesn't understand this all either.

So correct me if I'm wrong on this.

When playing a .flv file using the mc player, the option is to point only to the player in the .swf file and then have the playlist within the player go and get the correct file to play.

When using any other players (specifically his player for this purpose), you need to have the player software which hard codes the .swf file to point to the correct file to play.

If you have any ideas, would you give me some ideas to make the mc player work within his vB forum? I can ftp the files to a specific folder there, or just upload files to my server.

Thanks,

Steve

<!--url's used in the movie-->

<!--text used in the movie-->

<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

<object
    classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase= "http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="400" height="300">

<param name=movie value="mflvplayer.swf?playerOpts=targetClip*demo.flv*s">

<param name=quality value=high>

<embed src="mflvplayer.swf?playerOpts=targetClip*demo.flv*s" quality=high pluginspage= "http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300">

</embed>

</object>

May be this code can help you.

I get it search "flv player api" in google.

Oldie but a Newbie
    Quote: gooogle
    View Post
    <!--url's used in the movie-->

<!--text used in the movie-->

<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

<object
    classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase= "http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="400" height="300">

<param name=movie value="mflvplayer.swf?playerOpts=targetClip*demo.flv*s">

<param name=quality value=high>

<embed src="mflvplayer.swf?playerOpts=targetClip*demo.flv*s" quality=high pluginspage= "http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300">

</embed>

</object>

May be this code can help you.

I get it search "flv player api" in google.
    Thanks gooogle--

I googled them and bookmarked that page. I'll check them out if I get interested in using their player. Thanks again.

Steve