Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Earphone comfort

Dear music fanatics,

I am a Dutch student (Human Technology) working on an inquiry related to the comfort of earphones (in conchae; like the standard Ipod phones, and in canal). My preliminary inquiry contained a basic anatomical study on the ear. The ear is as unique as a fingerprint.
    The reason I am doing this is because a costumer can never tell whether the earphone will be comfortable or not. I find this dubious especially for the more expensive types.

What is your opinion about this? How could the manufacturer/salesman make this choice easier for the costumer? It is even harder to predict the wearing comfort if one will buy it on the internet, is it not?
    It would be nice for me, my project, and others if this topic can be discussed here. (I am curious about your opinions and I could also use some of that info for my project).

By this method of approach I hope to finally get some answers of people with experience.

At last I also hope that some of you will be so kind to fill in my questionnaire because it will really help me out!
    You will find the questionnaire on this site:
    http://www.thesistools.com/?qid=29821&ln=eng

Filling in the questionnaire will take app. 5 min and all data will be processed anonymously.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    René.
    Last edited by rene1984; 25th Apr 2007 at 07:45.

Hi there. I tried to do the questionaire, but it sort of hung while I was attempting to send it... so I have absolutely no idea whether it got through.

Ergonomics & Performance
    Anyhow... it's very hard for the sales person to give some sort of guarantee for great fit because God made us all unique, each with a different set of ears. I've a student whose ears cannot hold a normal earphone (the ipod one as you've mentioned) in her ears because of the way it is shaped.

So I guess a blanket disclaimers of the general comfort, including 1. the material (eg headphone with velvet paddings/silicone rubber for in-ear) and 2. visuals of how it is worn (eg for those wearing glasses/helmet, etc) will be useful in addition.

All these being said, there's also the issue of performance, esp for audiophiles. But I guess that's a non-issue here.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Same problem here. Think the sending processes is messed up
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Ok,

I can not check the problem at this moment, but thank you very much for trying it!!
    I really hope the results came through!

Hi all,

Everything that you filled in came through. I tried it myself yesterday and had the same when I pushed the submit button but the resluts were posted. I just do not know why it does not work properly when sending the resulst, but thanks again!
    I hope more will follow.

René

Yup, do fill us in to the results of your research. I am interested to learn more about this issue.

Thanks in advance
    Loong . Singapore

All right

I'll show them when it is completed, however this is probably somewhere at the end of May... Hope you can wait a little while

Hi all,

Could someone please tell me how in ear canal types react on wind. For example when you're riding a bike or jogging does the sound of the wind come through to your ear?
    If so, is that bearable or not?

Yes the sound does come through. I don't think it's a nice feeling. I mainly use mine while traveling in vehicles and minimally while I am on foot as it seems to be most effective and helpful for me.

Just a disclaimer that I DO NOT wear nor encourage wearing ear-phones of any kind when I cycle because it is dangerous. Esp in-ear where I can be even more oblivious (unaware) of my surroundings. When I jog I prefer to use normal earphones (like the ipod one) as they allow me to hear ambient/surrounding noise/sound too.
    Loong . Singapore

End of questionnaire

I would like to thank everybody very much who has participated!!

Important outcome:
    - In ear canal phones are most populair: nearly 90% prefers this type,
    - dutch and foreign answers are not equal on all questions, most important similarity seems to be the preference of same sizes of sleeves,
    - foreigners (18) use earphones a lot during outside activities, while the dutch also use them al lot at work (office envirnment).

If you would like to know something specific you can mail me.

regards rene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast