how can i make page load fast?

when I design a web page, I notice it loads slowly piece by piece. While other sites I see have more pages, and graphics to load and they load in a second. Am i doing something wrong. I design most of the page in photoshop, then finish and upload with frontpage.

thanks

Blog Entries
    Sounds like your images are too large. Read this tutorial for more info.

After you have optimised your images, if the problem is still there, post the URL and I'll take a look.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

thanks dave.
    am i doing this all wrong? I do the image size 1024X758 (approx) and design the whole page in photoshop, then I take image to imageready and slice, etc.. and save for web back in photoshop. I open it in frontpage and then i publish page(s). Is that why it loads slowly, slice by slice? If I change the image size, then when i upload to ie, it will look smaller that the page size...

Blog Entries
    Ahh, so you're making the whole page as a series of image slices? That's not a good idea unless you have a very specific and unavoidable reason to do so. It's almost certainly why the page is loading slowly, and it will have other disadvantages as well.

It's hard to give you any more advice without seeing the page, but I strongly recommend that you design the page using HTML rather than as an image.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

yea Dave is right, if your entire page is consist of images then it's gonna load slow as a turtle no offense to the shelled creatures.
    also make sure your pic formats is jpg or gif i think gif is smaller but you lose quality. if u r good at css u can make some of those images as backgrounds of the container but that's a whole other story