Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a digital stills camera?

Hi,
    I was playing around with one of my friends digital cameras that cost him around $200 AUD and its functions, and looking at the quality of the stills, I decided to buy one myself for taking good quality photos - But I don't know what I should look out for! I was told that you should have a camera that takes photos at more than 6 mega pixels, and you want to have a good optical zoom... But what else? is there anything that can set four cameras costing about $600 each, apart from each other?
    Thank You.

P.S. Another of my friends Owns a "S5000" (I think its called) its a few years old but the guy says that its aged well and you can pick them up cheap at around $200-$300 AUD -- so I might try to get ahold of one of them, unless anyone has a better suggestion (or any suggestion at all - I'm new to still photography)

P.P.S. I've got around $700 to spend but, heck, if someone can show me a camera worth more than that thats worth the temptation -- I might hold out and save up more!
    Last edited by B_List19; 4th May 2007 at 11:52. Reason: P.P.S.

yay!!!!! another subject i know a lot about has come to MC...

Ok first of. here is the camera i use (22.2. Megapixels). an unless you are working with it i suggest that you dont buy one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    \

now you question is loaded with holes you don't even know about. let me ask you a few questions. What type of photos are you looking to take? Live action, nature, people, still items? there are tons of diffrences. My suggestion is to look into SLR cameras and you should look into something at least 10 megapixels!!!!, you can get one for around 600 (all the way up to 30,000) what to look for: Is the lens detachable. YOU WANT THE ANSWER TO THIS TO BE YES other features: tripod attachment, ease of use, memory size, comfort, view finder, etc....... let me know what you are looking for and i will see if i can help you a bit more
    Last edited by kawsakimx6; 4th May 2007 at 13:34.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Thanks for the reply,
    I was looking to take photos of things like landscapes
    and nature (alot of pretty sites in South Australia - which I'd love to capture on camera) But if it could do other things that would be great too. (like, take decent photos of people, close ups etc.) Thanks.

First things first. Whats your budget.

(forget that, we must of edited/posted at the same time)

(I also like cameras and maybe Dave should look at having it as the topic in the forums)
    Last edited by westie; 8th May 2007 at 04:03.

good call westie. I will suggest it.
    Manoni Productions

Budget -- $700 AUD

that is about 575 USD for those of you that want to know
    Manoni Productions

Hey Kaw... translate that into Singapore Dollars (SGD) the next time (wink)!

Well B_List19, it'll be cool to have a Hassie like Kaw, cos it gives nice pixels for landscape. But that's way beyond your budget... I've been owning Nikon since film days, but uses other brands occasionally. I don't discriminate brands, just that I have preferences.

My only question is how frequent you see yourself taking pictures. I buy into photography SYSTEMS, not piece meal. That goes for video SYSTEMS too..

If, for now, you are very interested to know more, but have not the chance to, you might want to rent a couple of cameras to try. Kaw's points of considerations are useful for your thinking process.

Before we go further, my suggestion: Save more... and don't be afraid to spend more (if you know what you're doing!) and get something that last. Remember what makes the picture is the photographer, not only the camera.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I think...that I'll just save up some more.

Quote: B_List19
    View Post
    I think...that I'll just save up some more.

Not a bad Idea
    Manoni Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast