Shooting a "night" scene. Blue gel filter?

I need to shoot in a bedroom at night. Do I just cover my light(s) with a blue gel filter? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive blue gel filter? They seem to run about $50.

You may want more then a blue gel. I am on the way out the door, for vacation, but when i get back i will explain. (hope monday is not too late)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

No rush

Monday is fine. I'm still writing and casting at this point.

OK here we go

Night-for-night shooting involves simulating a dark scene by using low key lighting, not by decreasing the intensity of the key light.

The key light, based on an apparent source such as moonlight or a streetlight, may actually be a back light. Fill light may be a different colour, reflecting the diversity of apparent sources in a night scene.

Remember that a blue gel reduces the intensity of a light by two stops, so the size of the area you can light is much smaller. For a large scene, use pools of light from more than one source

Day-for-night can be effective for a scene which does not include light sources in the frame (such as streetlights, flashlights or car headlights). Steps to shooting day-for-night:

Shoot on a sunny day.
    Underexpose about two stops.
    White balance on yellow, to create a blue tint.
    Use the sun as a backlight to simulate moonlight.
    Avoid showing the sky.

Dusk-for-night is shot during the brief period when light sources such as streetlights and car headlights are on, but there is still enough blue fill light from the sky to provide some exposure. This is often ideal for establishing shots -- closer shots can then be done night-for-night (see above)

Hope this helps
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Some good ideas

Thanks, this definitely helped - putting me in the right direction.