HDV File Transfer

By doing a thorough research on choosing the right camera I came to conclusion that HDV format camera will be my final choice. My next question is how HDV format gets transferred to the PC? Is it done via regular fire wire cable or there is something else that needs to be added to the PC to complete the transfer process?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    As long as your capture software supports HDV, it is transferred in basically the same way as DV via Firewire.

You may notice some slight differences or limitations, eg you may not be able to monitor the capture visually as it happens, or you may not be able to use the same features (eg scene detect in Premiere doesn't yet work with HDV).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I am not sure what editing software you are using, however i am guessing either premiere or Avid. What dave said is dead on. and if you ever go to a fire-store drive then you also need to make sure that the fire-store will hold and export HDV. (most do)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Using PC

Yes you are indeed right most likely I'll be using PC with Premier software on it. I've never heart about the other one. So Dave you're saying that premier doesn't support HDV file transfer but can it is just be transferred as a video file directly to the computer HD and used as a coped source or there is no such think. Also I would like to ask you to pass me a link to the other type of editing software "Avid" so I can learn more.

Thanks.

If HDV & Premiere's what you are looking at... you'll likely need this.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdv.html

As for Avid, it's one of the key brands focusing on pro film/video editing/finishing for broadcast where I come from. Industry people prefer AVID to Premiere/FCP/Vegas/Media 100 (not sure if they're still around here). I used it in my school days. You can look around (in general) here... http://www.avid.com/products/nleFamily.asp

If you are still keen to consider their products, click on the Avid Xpress Pro. Those (not for the big boys) are likely more than enough for you.

Just a note of concern after reading most of your posts and thinking aloud... are you going to be OMO? (One Man Operation) And how familiar are you with the entire production process? (literally from conceptualizing to shooting to finishing your video)
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

nager is right. Avid may be the way to go if using a PC. I myself use macs, and there fore love FCP. that is just my opinion though
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Blog Entries
    Premiere does support HDV, it's just that it has a couple of minor limitations when capturing. These are not significant and will certainly be fixed in future releases (most likely the upcoming CS3 release).

The plugin Nagar mentioned is not required from version 2.0 of Premiere Pro. It was a temporary fix for version 1.5 which didn't initially support HDV. From version 2.0, Premiere supports HDV natively and works very well.

Make sure you don't buy Premiere Pro 2.0 though - Premiere Pro CS3 is just about here so get that instead if you decide to go with Adobe.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Oops sorry... I thought v1.5 was the one Dave as mentioning... and yes! Wait for CS3!!! I'm waiting...

To add, AVID goes well with Macs too.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Older post, but thought I would say something....check the camera outputs, as I was also used to using firewire to import to PP, but my new JVC GZ-HD7 doesnt support it...but the camera maker will always supply the means to import and software to get you started. I think all will support HDMI which is the best route....provided you want to invest in a capture card. Just my thoughts.