Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Removel

Voice Removel

Hey
    Is it possible to remove someone talking/singing on a track i purchased?

I downloaded (legally) it and would like to use the background music for personal uses.

So is it possible? if so, how?

Thanx

Re: Voice Removel

Hey
    Anyone know if its possible?

Blog Entries

In most cases voice elimination will only be partially successful at best. Don't get your hopes up.

There are two ways I'm aware of to try it:
    (1) Use an equalizer to lower the frequencies around the voice.
    (2) In stereo recordings the voice is usually in the centre, so it's theoretically possible to use phase shifting/reversal to reduce the vocals.

If you can afford it, your best bet would probably be to buy a commercial voice removal utility.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

There is a cheaper way to do central channel phase removal on a stereo source...

The best results are often from stereo jacks..

You need the following...

1 x stereo jack lead with 2 jacks on either end with screw caps.
    1 x soldering iron.
    1 x electrical tape.
    1 x small flat bladed screw driver.

It's so easy you'll probably wont believe it any way here goes:

on ONE of the stereo jacks unscrew the outer casing. You will notice that there are three pins inside, two smaller ones and a large one with a clamp.
    On the large pin you will see the sheild(s) of the wire soldered on. Using a small screw driver carefully undo the clamp holding the wire in place. Using your soldering iron REMOVE that connection so the sheild(s) are free. Take a 1 cm piece of your electrical insulation tape and completely wrap up the shield(s) so it will not longer be able to make any electrical contact.

And that's IT!!

It's really is that easy. Do you want to why it works?

I'll explain.

A normal mono circuit has two wires, Positive (signal) and Ground.
    The same applies to stereo circuits (two mono circuits) Left Channel signal, Right Channel signal and Ground.

What normally happens (taking mono for example) the signal level of the "positive" signal wire can only be known if you know what ground is.

I hope you are following me so far! This is called a comparetive circuit. you have a ground point (0 volts) and a signal wire with something different on it (usually more than 0!). It's a bit like saying, you know that it is "day time", because it looks different to "night time".

So how does this make central channel cancellation work? to put it simply, if the amplier/mixer requires a common comparetive (ground voltage) to say what signal level is coming in, when we remove that comparetive (ground) it can only find the difference between to the two positive (left and right channel) signals. And the difference between the two channels is what is balanced UNEQUALLY between the left and right speakers.

for example:

NORMAL comparetive circuit - i have used numbers to represent frequencies (Khz)

INPUT

LEFT GROUND RIGHT

11 12 13 0 11 15 16

OUTPUT

LEFT GROUND RIGHT

11 12 13 0 11 15 16

The output is the same as the input, because 11Khz - 0 Khz (ground)= 11Khz and so on.

Open ground comparative circuit (floating ground) - i have used numbers to represent frequencies (Khz)

INPUT

LEFT NO GROUND RIGHT

11 22 33 ... 11 55 66

OUTPUT

LEFT GROUND RIGHT

22 33 0 55 66

As you can see, because "11" exists between both LEFT and RIGHT channels it disappears (LEFT "11" - RIGHT "11" = 0). Because VOCALS are usually recorded in the centre of a stereo image - it would disappear, and probably leave the effects used in the back ground.

But hey dont take my word for it!

have fun

Tony.

Blog Entries

Very intersting post cyntax - I'm definitely going to have to try this one when I get time.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi,quickest and easiest way to acheive this is to use (for instance) a stereo source and plug it via a 'Y' adapter into a mono channel, this normally leaves the backing vox intact as they're usually panned left or right in the original mix. Create your own karaoke!

Actually, Cyntax's method works quite well. Though I've never actually done his way with all the soldering and wire cutting, I accidentally discovered this a couple of years ago when I didn't completely plug in a stereo mini plug. There was sound coming through the left and right channels, but the vocals had disappeared! At first I thought there was something wrong with the recording, or the stereo, but it turns out it simply wasn't plugged in properly. This thread made me think of that, most specifically, cyntax's post, as the left and right channels being connected but not the ground must have been the reason for it.

I think very difficult to remove the vocals 100%. But I tried with[ FlexiMusic Wave Editor to remove the vocals from the song(Not sure 100%). I found one FAQ [ http://www.fleximusic.com/support/edit05.htm ]

Blog Entries
    It's too bad disclaimers can't be mandatory. I find it hard to determine if someone is spamming or making an honest attempt in helping resolve a problem.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it's the meds in my head stopping me from thinking properly, but could you explain what you mean by mandatory disclaimers? Any suggestions about this spam problem are welcome.

I'm still thinking of new ways to combat it. In the meantime my advice is to take any recommendations here with a grain of salt unless given by an established member (10 posts+).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast