Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

correcting sound distortion

I recorded a male voice too loud, in error. What tools in Final Cut will help fix the problem? ADR is not possible. Thanks.

just too loud, or is it clipping?
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

It is clipping, I guess, kind of garbled and distorted.

ohhhhh I was afraid that that is what you were going to say. Well, you are NOT going to like my answer, but i have never found a good way to do it, and you are just going to have to re-record the track
    Manoni Productions

Blog Entries
    I concur. I have never heard of distorted audio being fixable, it's pretty much considered a write-off. Sorry.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Aaaah, it can be done...about as easily as we got men to the moon.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    Aaaah, it can be done...about as easily as we got men to the moon.

it can be done though? please explain
    Manoni Productions

From another cat: Please explain...

Mommy, I'm going to learn magic! (cool...)
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Wow, I was kinda kidding, but... a Fourier waveform analysis would be the first step, done on a special oscilloscope (about $10k), and compaired to a known good sample of the vocal track. It could then be "fixed" so to speak using various harmonic generators; the overall level of the recording would have to lowered, and the clipped portions of the waveform replaced with harmonics to match the sample. Very painstaking and lengthy process, and rarely done except with vintage recordings, since the human voice is very harmonic-rich, and the equipment isn't cheap. It's the same process as that used to recreate the tone of vintage violins, talk to dolphins and track enemy submarines.

I learned this stuff in the Navy in an submarine warefare school, and when I apprenticed as a violin maker. You can get books on it at any University Tech library.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

well, there you have it. You CAN DO THIS......however, you CAN NOT AFFORD IT....
    Manoni Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast