Thread: Video merging

Video merging

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to merge two separate videos into one...?

See, I have a video of my deceased parent, but I don't have any of us together, because I was very young when she passed. I wanted to take video of me later and have us interacting....her holding me, etc.

How would I do this? Is it even possible? If so, would it be obvious that they were separate images thrown together?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Hi Melinda, welcome.

To some extent yes, this is technically possible. However it is likely to be difficult to achieve convincing results. If you are aiming for movie-quality special effects where the viewer could really believe that it's a genuine video of both of you, you'll either need some pretty sharp skills or a lot of money to pay someone to do it.

It will be a lot more difficult to have interaction involving physical contact (like holding). It would be less challenging to have the two of you sitting next to each other or walking together.

You might like to have a look at our green screen tutorial to see how that works. The idea would be to shoot yourself in front of a green (or blue) screen and superimpose the shots over the original footage of your parent. You would need to plan your new shots to fit in with the old ones.

However it might be more realistic to start with something a bit less high-tech. For example, a split-screen with you in one part of the frame and your parent in another. You could use your imagination to find creative ways to blend the two shots together, for example, what about a shot of yourself looking at a picture frame which becomes a moving picture of your parent?

I understand that this is a very personal project for you. I hesitate to say this, but perhaps you might like to think about what is the best outcome here. On one hand you could spend a vast amount of effort trying to create a scene which, in the end, is not real. On the other hand you could try and come up with ideas for a video that uses shots of both of you in a new way to represent the bond between you. If you could tell us about the original footage some people might have some nice ideas about how you could use it. Just a thought.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi and thanks for responding

Money isn't really an issue; can I pay a company to do it? If so, can they make it look like we were hugging and interacting convincingly?

I mean, just what kind of capabilities does a professional videographer have?

Has anyone seen Kung Pow?
    That would be the way to do it. Does the footage have someone hugging and holding her?
    Money isnt an issue....I like that!

I looked up that movie, Kung Pow, and it sounds like they did it and you couldn't tell unless they intended you to. So, it CAN be done. I'm tempted to rent that movie just to see how well it's done.

Were you asking me if I had footage of her hugging and holding someone else? Is that the key? If you have a person actually engaged in an activity, then you can just superimpose the person you want in the objects place...right? I was wondering if that could be done.

Money isn't an issue unless it's a massive fortune...

there are ways to do it. I would like to start by saying that you need o shoot the 2 scenes as close to each other as possible (in time) you have to have the same light and background. DO THIS INSIDE!!!!!!!! even if it is an outside shoot you are looking for, either make a set indoors or do it on a green screen!!!!!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!