Miking a pipe Organ

Hello to all!

I recently joined the A/V team at our church and am working to improve the quality of their cassette ministry. Currently there is only dead time when the pipe organ plays. I will experiment beginning this Sunday with an AGK C1000s(rented) placed in th balcony directed at the pipe output console.
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    gracesound811

I am not entirely sure that i understand your question? Dead time as the Organ Plays? I am just not sure i understand.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Miking a pipe organ

Dead time meant that there was no mike used to pick up the organ prior to the use of the c100s. I am just wondering what others thought of that mike or what other mikes might work better.

Thanks-gracesound811

Wow! micing a Pipe organ! i honestly would not even know where to start. Everytime that i have used them for a production, i had to deaden the sound coming out of the, THEY ARE LOUD!!!!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Yea, LOUD they are. In fact, many of the larger ones reach 140db at 10 feet.. Can you describe the pipe arrangement, how many, how big?

The AKG-C1000s is a good choice. But you may need to pad it at the board. This mic has a boost switch for an additional 5db at 5k-9khz. Don't use it. Keep the polar pattern at the cardiod setting, also. A db meter would help, if you have one.

Some pipe-sets are frontal (ie where the sound comes out), and some have the most sound come out the top. This is important to mic placement. Some have a sound board behind the pipes to amplify the smaller pipes, same principle as a piano sound board, in which case you might place a piezo pick-up on it. I recorded an organ at the National Shrine in DC that way with very good results.. That one had two banks of 144 pipes, with sound boards behind the treble ends. For the big pipes I used an older AKG matched stereo pair. (those pipes went up to 24 ft high). mounted on booms about 10 feet out front, 15 feet up. I had to use shock mounts and wind screens because those suckers could push some air!

Let us know how you end up doing it.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Hi penniesfromheaven!

Thanks for your response! Our pipe organ is a smaller unit and is covered for asthetic purposes behind speaker cloth on the stage left side of the pulpit. I suspect that the bass pipes are no larger than 15-20'. The organist does not play at "full throttle". The c100s I am using does not have the boost switch you described and I will remove the hypercardiod filter this Sunday. I set up the mike in the balcony about 20 feet away from the unit. I have audited last Sunday's tape and found that the organ still did not come through well. I will also adjust the gain to past unity.

Thanks again
    gracesound 811

You may want to go closer than 20 feet if you can. It sounds like your organist is playing during quiet moments of the service, and you are going for a more ambient sound, but if you can get closer it may be better. A second mic closer in would be ok also if you have an open channel on your board. At my church I have to double mic our Hammond B2 since our organist runs from super quiet to full throttle all the time and I find it easier to just mute the mic I'm not using at the time instead of messing with the gain structure all the time.

Blessings.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

The sanctuary is an older (1920's) building with the usual high ceilings and no way to fly a mike closer than the balcony. I have told the A/V and building committees that I am very sensitive to the asthetics of the sanctuary. The sound board is a Behringer SL 32, so we have plenty of room for an additional mike channel if I can get the ok to place an additional mike close to the organ pit, which is just below the pipes themselves.

I have not yet received a copy of the second service from last week, but was impressed by what I heard through the headphones with the rest of the service, particularly the choir.

I will be out of town this weekend, but will try more ideas next week during the service.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,
    gracesound811