XML Playlist Cache Prob, Possible Workaround?

Hi,

I downloaded your excellent media player yesterday - it looks to be just what I'm looking for

However, I did have a problem with the XML playlist which was caching everytime. This was a particular problem as I was setting up the playlist at the same time as R'ing TFM so any changes I made weren't showing unless I cleared the browser cache.

After a little head scratching, I came up with a solution of sorts, which is to append a random string of characters to the playlist filename in the js as a query string, which seems to do the job.

Bizarrely, the first "random character string" javascript function I came across on google was also from this site although I changed the end of it to return the value instead of writing it to document.

Code is as follows;

// I placed this below the main comment block at the top of the js file, before the variables are set
    function randomString() {
    var chars = "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXTZabcdefghiklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
    var string_length = 8;
    var randomstring = '';
    for (var i=0; i<string_length; i++) {
    var rnum = Math.floor(Math.random() * chars.length);
    randomstring += chars.substring(rnum,rnum+1);
    }
    return randomstring;
    }

... then ...

playlist = "myplaylist.xml?foo="+randomString(); // Random query string to stop XML caching

... I would appreciate any thoughts on this as a suitable method, or there may well be simpler methods that I haven't considered...

Note to other users - I have only tested this on my setup, and it has not been peer-reviewed yet. Edit js files at your own risk!

Blog Entries
    Quote: nigenet
    I downloaded your excellent media player yesterday - it looks to be just what I'm looking for
    Excellent.

However, I did have a problem with the XML playlist which was caching everytime.
    Yeah, I've noticed that as well. It doesn't usually bother me except when I'm working on something and I want to keep changing the playlist. I think your solution is a good one. I have used a similar solution before to prevent image caching and it works well. I can't see any reason for it not to work with the media player. Good thinking

Bizarrely, the first "random character string" javascript function I came across on google was also from this site
    hehe, our domination of the Internet is almost complete. Soon there will be no need for other websites.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

playlist caching

nigenet, it works for me here too. Thanks. Only thing now, it takes a little while to load the playlist but that has to be expected.

works on Safari and FireFox for Mac, too. Thanks!