How to film through glass

I want to tape (digital video) an establishing exterior shot outside a restaurant. I'd like the characters to be visible at their table just inside the window but whenever I've tried this sort of thing before, I just get myself (and the rest of the world) reflected in the glass. Is there a way to prevent this? Prevent the reflection that is, not the shot.

ahhhh the ole' throught the glass trick. there are a few tricks.

1. Do not stand directly in front of the glass (stand at an angle) so that the reflection on the glass would not show you. like this /- with the / being the glass and - being the camera.

2. If at all possable Shoot at night. You can add lighting to make it look like daytime.

3. Use a black Cloth (or other non reflective black material) and ues it to block out anything that is reflecting in the glass. (The closer you can get to the window, the closer that you can get the "blacker" the better it will work. (this is pretty the best way to do a day shot that is not in a studio.

4. If you are making the set USE SINGLE PANE GLASS!!!! the more panes the more reflection.

Hope this has helped, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, and i am guessing that you will have a few other responces that will have a trick that i missed (or did not know)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

5. You could also try a polarizing filter. Most camcorders will accept a threaded front mount filter. Just take your camera down to a 'used' camera store and I'm sure they can find one that fits your lens.

Once you have it on, position your camera on a 35 degree angle from the reflective surface and adjust the filter ring.
    Also this can be used to darken a blue sky , you need to be at a 90 degree angle from the sun to achieve the best result for this effect.

I bought one for my Canon (a small one) and one for my JVC HD cam, a 46mm, and it works great. Usually very inexpensive too.

film through glass

I did face this kind of problem. That time we removed the glass from the window. In long shot that worked nicely.

yeah removing the glass is always a good option and adding the "glare" on in post.....however usualy not an option. Not too many places that are willing to let you bust out the glass, even if you promise to replace it when you are done
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

use a fake window n put that right infront of the camera

itll look like it was shot through glass, but u can position ur camera around in a good spot

also, if u do that, u can make sure u get some clearish yet tinted to be noticable glass

Polarizing filter is the way to go. Just be sure that if your camera has any automatic adjustments and you want to use them that you get a circular polarizer, not a linear polarizer. (The way a polarizer works is it only allows light in that is polarized in one direction, if you use a linear polarizer, it stays in that direction and can cause havoc on automatic controls and some digital sensors. If you use a circular polarizer, it re-'spins' the light so that it looks like any other non-polarized scene and doesn't cause havoc.) Polarizers also work well for cutting through fog and, through use of cross polarization with lights, direct copying of an image.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler