what is the best digital video format?

I have several DVD's which I want to convert to files but not sure which format will retain the exact quality. I want to know whiich is best between MPEG,AVI, MPP4,WMA I understand some formats create lager files that others. All adviace on this subject will be very well appreciated.
    Thank you

i would like to point out that you left out a .mov (quicktime) file. This is my choice for the best
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Blog Entries
    If you want maximum quality, go for an uncompressed format. If you do that, pretty much any uncompressed format will keep top quality.

mov is definitely a good one, preferred by a lot of professionals. Uncompressed AVI is also fine but can have issues with codecs.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Uncompressed ...

Uncompressed will yield the best results. Just take into account your storage requirements will do up.

It's the video player that counts most....

The most important factor for digital video format is the player. The one I use is FREE and allows me to switch from normal speed to slow motion then back again. Timeline playback for mpeg doesn't require any editing; so there are no video snippets everywhere. Just the originals.

See this example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K7bRuNyrr0

Uncompressed is best. Seems to me that storage room is not an issue anymore these days (1 TB costs about 70 euro). I can imagine that the uncompressed format does not fit on a DVD. You can always try to burn on a double sided DVD or settle for less quality. Just make sure that the original film is uncompressed, so you can go for better quality later.

Converting video from dvd to uncomprest is not worth dvd is already comprest dvd is mpg2 format I suggest to convert your dvd to mpg4 XviD or dv avi. With Dv avi you going to get exact quality as dvd.