• PC

13 61.90%
  • Lynux

2 9.52%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you use?

Ok i feel that i may be the only one on here the uses a Mac. so i am checking on here. Please fill out the poll and let me know.

I ask this because i feel that some of my advice is illtaken because of the mac enuendos in the answer.

Thanks
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Since you own a Mac, what are its advantages over my humble PC (it set me back around $2,000) that is brand new and custom built.

is it worth owning one for low budget Multimedia work...

Blog Entries
    I'll say PC because that's what my normal working desktop is. I also use Linux, but mostly for web-related stuff (our servers are Linux and I like to have a Linux desktop always handy). I use Macs occasionally but mostly just mucking around.

I know that some PC users get a bit upset at being lectured by Mac users. To be honest I sometimes want to tell Mac fanatics at work to shut their traps. I think it's because a small number of Mac users go over the top in telling everyone else they should own a Mac. That annoys me - I know about Macs and I do love them, but I've done the research and I've decided that PCs are a better business decision for me. Every year I spend some time trying to justify the expense of shifting my edit system to a Mac, and every year I get the same result - I can get the same setup for half the price on a PC. And contrary to what I'm told by Mac users, my PC doesn't actually need 10 restarts per day, it's never had hardware conflicts, it never crashes and it's perfectly stable.

Another thing that bothers PC users is when they ask a PC-related question and get told "Buy a Mac". That's not a helpful answer.

It's quite similar with Linux users. I'm a huge Linux fan but I get tired of zealots embarrassing the Linux movement by being arrogant and obnoxious towards PC users.

Recently I spent half a day with a colleague who had migrated from PC/Adobe to Mac/FCP. We went through all the differences and reasons he had switched. In the end he freely admitted that both were essentially the same, except that he needed a system that others professionals were more familiar with. In that regard FCP wins easily.

Anyway, I don't normally worry about Mac fans saying "Mac is best". I take it in good humour, comfortable in the knowledge that "best" is different for different people. As a business owner, "best" includes things like how much it costs me to get a particular result. If a Mac with Final Cut Pro is going to cost me as much as a PC with the entire Adobe suite and an extra camera, there's only one option as far as I'm concerned

BTW, I don't think most people here would have a problem with you promoting Macs. I think it's always good to hear as many viewpoints as possible. As long as you're not being snobby about it, I can't see it being a problem.

Finally, for some amusement, check out this article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...006031,00.html
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

what about the Linux OS (Operating System), is it better than Macs or PCs - what are its advantages? and disadvantages?

And - also - isn't it technically the GNU/Linux operating system?
    Last edited by B_List19; 8th Jun 2007 at 11:53. Reason: typo

B-List. i am not too sure that i can make a case for a light user to switch to mac. to tell you the truth i amn not sure that i could make a case for a A-list movie maker to switch toi Mac. I think it is personal prefrence. I have had PC and Macs crach on me. Hardware/software problems are a curse of both. I just prefer macs. I make everything from Feature lenght movies to 30 sec television comericals and everything inbetween. I Like FCP and the way that it intergrats with Maya, Photoshop, Motion, After Effects, Cinema 4d, LiveType, and others. I have also had sucess with Avid Pro, and Premeir Pro (I HATE VEGAS). I am not one to tell you that PC is crap, i just like mac a bit better for what i do.
    Manoni Productions

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Finally, for some amusement, check out this article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...006031,00.html

silly Britts
    Manoni Productions

Fair enough about the Macs... But does anyone know anything about Linux (Or linyx,GNU or whatever its supposed to be called) like:

Does it work on any old PC, Except Your installing the Linux OS instead of the Windows OS?

Are the programs that are available for it any good?, They look very Capable and I want to know if They actually are (a few of them are Kino, Open movie editor, and there are a bunch others)

Anything else that could convince me to get hold of such a system to use for video editing,Audio,Anything multimedia .etc?
    (Because if its not worth owning one, I'm just going to stick with Jashaka
    for the time being!)

Thanks.

I think Macs are better but they are overpriced. That's why I'm a PC user and will be until Macs become more affordable.

I have similar sentiments with Dave on this issue.

I have used Apple more than the PC in the first few years of my life, esp in my studies. As of now, I am still (I think I've mentioned this in another post somewhere) using both a Mac and a PC, the former being the lesser due to the fact that my Apple's way old and of age for retirement.

Even if I were to make a complete switch (possibility), I've told myself to be always open to stuff found on the PC. One must never be too surefooted and arrogant not only in life, but also in this aspect as well.

Each has its merits and demerits, so let's laugh over the minor squabbles and not major on the minor. As of now, PC will still dominate a bigger market, and Mac a slightly more niched. Leave the fighting to Steve and Bill (knowing that Bill has shares in Apple as well...)

I don't think people really mind your preference for an Apple on the forum Kaw, just note that their situations/problems usually lie with whatever they presently have on hand (usually a PC problem), and giving a suggestion for Macs don't help where they are.

In short, let Mac be Mac, and let PC, be PC.

btw WebX, the Apple's gone through a lot and it's more affordable nowadays.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Quote: B_List19
    View Post
    does anyone know anything about Linux (Or linyx,GNU or whatever its supposed to be called) like:
    I use Linux but not for video stuff. I looked into Linux video software a few years ago and while there were some technically nice options, there was nothing that came close to what we're used to on the PC or Mac. Unless things have changed a lot I can't see Linux as a good video option for the average user.

On the other hand Peter Jackson apparently used Linux to model and render the CGI stuff for Lord of the Rings. He's not exactly your average user though.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast