Thread: Rule Of Thirds

Rule Of Thirds

I was looking for a good place to send one of my students to explain the rule of thirds. (yeah i teach 2 classes a week ath the local college) I stumbled upon this and just wanted to share it. i think it explaines it well

http://digital-photography-school.co...ule-of-thirds/
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

About "Rule of third"

Hi, the rule of third is a rule to fregment a frame into three parts both horizontaly and virticaly in imagination . And the crossing point of the imaginary virticle and horizontal line is point of interest which is very important to place the informative objects to make the image more interesting .

Yup, and if you've played the game 'tic-tac-toe', just imagine the game board's on the image you are about to capture. Not sure if this game's played everywhere with this name, but that's how I explain it to those who ask me.

Some (if not all, I dare not say) digital SLRs have the option to add grid guidelines in the viewfinder of your camera, thus helping to gauge the third.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    tic-tac-toe is known as "Noughts and Crosses" in many parts of the world.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Aha... Noughts and Crosses... thanks Dave! Now I know what to say to a non-local if they don't know anything abt tic-tac-toe.
    Loong . Singapore

And a good site to learn about Depth of Field is Here

Hope its ok to post that link to another site dave.
    Its a good demonstration though
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Rule of thirds

This is also known as the "Golden Mean" - the idea that a picture is pleasing when points of interest are placed at a distance one third from the top, bottom or sides of the frame. A good example is placing the horizon of a landscape one third from the top of the frame, or one third from the bottom if the sky is the major point of interest.

I recently purchased Nikon Capture NX2 and it has a pretty cool "grid" feature that can be turned on when using the crop tool. The grid is set up for rule of thirds so it really helps to see how the pic will look after cropping and which direction to crop since one can see all the lines. Using that has helped me visualize thirds better in my viewfinder while shooting too.

I understand some cameras have that feature built in to the camera and it can be turned on to see it through the viewfinder? (I might be wrong, but it seems I read that somewhere.)

I understand some cameras have that feature built in to the camera and it can be turned on to see it through the viewfinder? (I might be wrong, but it seems I read that somewhere.)

Yes Hammster, you are right. Most DSLRs are able to incorporate this. Compact digitals are also picking this helpful function up too. The same function on NX is on Aperture too (just that it is not in thirds, but in grids, which I think is a better help)
    Loong . Singapore