View Poll Results: can you make professional vocal recordings without an external preamp?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 50.00%
  • no

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mackie really kinda sux...

u really juz gotta go down 2 guitar center n take a day where u try all the pre-amps and see which ones are good

mackie arent great but depending on wat ur doing, u mite b able 2 get away with them

I doubt guitar center has good lavs for me to play with, as that is what most of the mics we use are (aside from vocal mics and a few others that we use for musical shows, and the occasionally used news mic with flag [usually used in field direct to camera, so not an issue in the studio]).
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

there are many small guitar centers but there is usually a larger one in each area/region

they will surelly have shan lavs, and i no for a fact they carry at lavs

juz go there

theyll also hook u up with some great headphones to try the crap on

all they wont have r the upper end shotguns like the at4073a n mkh416 n ne schops products

besides

u can use ne mike to test a preamp

ur not listening to how the mic changes the sound

ur listening to how the preamp changes the sound

Quote: rackdude
    View Post
    there are many small guitar centers but there is usually a larger one in each area/region

they will surelly have shan lavs, and i no for a fact they carry at lavs
    Video production tends to use different Lavs than controlled and live audio production (as a standard, ECM-44B/etc)
    juz go there
    I will probably go to two or three of them, as well as Sam Ash.
    theyll also hook u up with some great headphones to try the crap on
    They work on commission, they'll do anything as long as they think they will get a sale.
    all they wont have r the upper end shotguns like the at4073a n mkh416 n ne schops products
    Ah, Sennheiser.
    besides
    u can use ne mike to test a preamp
    ur not listening to how the mic changes the sound
    ur listening to how the preamp changes the sound
    No, I'm listening to the sound and checking the technical correctness of audio out of a specific few microphone models through a specific preamp. Yes, you can generally tell from any random mic, but if the mic is crap, the preamp will always sound like crap.

PS: You've been commenting quite a bit recently, but your posts seem to lack basic grammar and seem to be thought out poorly, if at all. If you think your posts out more and correct your grammar, you may be seen as a more reliable source of information.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

well

guitarcenter will alwayz let u bring in ur stuff if u want

so if u got a sony ecm 44b, theyll totally let u use it

n ya... never listen to the dudes in there

they r totally on commission

juz do some before hand research n ull no where ur going, n if u know some specs b4 u go in there, u can tell which guys r juz trying to sell equiptment n which guy actually know their stuff

in general tho, u can really juz tell which pre-amps do wat ezilly if u juz hook up a rodes mic n get a pair of flat monitering headphones

ull hear major differences between each pre-amp, ull no wat 2 expect w/ ur mic, but if u wanna b sure, juz bring ur set-up in, the guys are alwayz nice because, again, their on commission, so they love it when ur trying out their $2000 pres

pres tho, heres how it kinda gos testing n re-testing

outboard pres atleast

it looks to me like focusrite gets the cleanest input of cheap pres, so even tho its kinda brittle, and octopre will b super clean n with a good eq u can make it sound great

because remember, the thing that makes the pres n mics sound good are the coloring, which is essentially things that are off in the eq

so, u can make it sound like a better pre juz by eqing it

the only other thing in the price range is the eureka, which is not as clean but is a full channel strip if u totally need an outboard comp, (the eq is so bad its not even worth mentioning)

other than that

a great product to stick to is avalon *sp*

$2000 pre that will work fine on just about everything

its not specialized really to be the best anywhere

but it will work newhere

is like the sm57 of mic-pres

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12