Advice for moving into sound recording..

Hi all. I'm after a little advice re a possible career change in the future. Here's the low down first. I'm 33 and a software engineer in New Zealand. For the last couple of years I've been doing some videography, made a low budget short, and do most of my video work for a non profit animal rights media organisation that I run. Now ultimately I want to do more work for this, producing and directing documentaries and other video/film pieces. I'm over the computer thing now, and so was looking to move into the industry in some fashion. Change my lifestyle (And no doubt my income in the negative sense ) and learn more relevant skills and work with people in the field. The most interesting part of the technical side that I like, is Audio acquisition and so I was thinking about moving into that field as maybe a sound recordist on documentaries and news etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this? I have thought about volunteering on weekends at production houses to go and learn the ropes and I would rather avoid having to retrain and would prefer to learn on the job - are any of these ideas feesible in New Zealand? Or really is a case of "no degree - no show"

Anyway, any and all advice is much appreciated.

Aaron
    http://www.meatfreemedia.com

Learning on the job is better IMO.

Blog Entries
    In your situation I think on-the-job experience is the way to go. Volunteering is a great idea - I know a lot of people who have started by helping out at university production suites etc.

I wouldn't worry at all about not having a degree. Most employers I've known would rather see experience than qualifications.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks guys.

OH, how did my email address appear up at the end of my message? My profile says to not show my email address - I'd really like it removed...SPAM bots have found it me thinks...

Aaron

Blog Entries
    Hi Aaron,

Sorry about the email addy. I've looked into it and it seems to have happened when we imported the database from our old forum to this new one. Somehow it grabbed your email address from the original message and put it in the text of your new one.

Now I'm off to check the other imported messages to make sure it hasn't happened to anyone else. I'll also tell the author of the import script about this incident and ask him to address the bug for future users.

I've been watching the logs for these forums pretty closely since we upgraded, mostly to see how the search engines are indexing them. I haven't seen any evidence of spambot/harvester activity so far.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave, thanks a lot for that!

I wasn't positive that it came from this site, it's just that I'm very cautious about my email address, and combined with paradise's spam detection I get pretty much no spam - ever. But the last week or two I've had a few of them and it coincided with me joining a couple of forums..

Cheers
    Aaron