cyntrifical force on a camera?

anyone know how much force the typical camera can handle? I have an idea for my next shoot. (affixing a camera to a wheel of a big rig) i just am not looking forward to trashing another 10k+ camera. (my last "Idea" had me buying a new camera

15 MPH on a 22in wheel. I do not know how to do the equation for how much force that will be, but i am sure that my engineer can, but he does not know how much force the camera can handle.......We called JVC and asked, and they laughed at us and said "well i would not throw it on the ground"
    Last edited by kawsakimx6; 15th Jun 2007 at 22:14.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Is the camera going to be mounted up and down or facing from the inside looking out? Either way I'm sure the footage will make someone sick!

Actually it is going to be facing the tire. i really want to get a tire blow out as the tire sees it. So you will not feel that the camera is going around and around, just pointed at the tire its self as it tears apart
    Manoni Productions

I'd say that you should be right as long as the cam is fastened on there tightly so it can't fall off (and maybe some sort of protection around the cam for when the tire bursts).

I think having the camera come flying off the rig at 15 miles per hour would be your only real problem, it should be fine when its properly secured - and you could even just drive the vehicle slower, maybe.

Hope that helps.

I see....A blown out tire on a big rig sounds like trouble! But it's only travelling at 15 mph, so I guess not too much damage. That would be a unique perspective. Good luck!
    BTW...what was your last idea....?

Quote: dev_gear
    View Post
    I see....A blown out tire on a big rig sounds like trouble! But it's only travelling at 15 mph, so I guess not too much damage. That would be a unique perspective. Good luck!
    BTW...what was your last idea....?
    the last camera i trashed, i had mounted on a car (10 feet off it with steel rods) catching the impact of a carwith the car "staying still" and the wall "moving". I had the camera off the car enough that it did not hit the wall or the car in the impact, and i guo lucky that no scrapnal hit the cam. The HDD was good still so i got the footage, but i guess that the force of the crash (even though nothing hit the camera) killed the camera. it still looked good, but the insides got shook quite well.
    Manoni Productions

Hmm... keeping the camera way off from the wheel is important, noting that you don't want to have any debris hitting the camera or the rig. Possibilities of that is low from your set-up, but I prefer to be cautious. I think it's best that the rig be kept as close as possible to the body (sounds ironic to the first point? I think so too...), so in any case that the vehicle sort of tilts/shifts because of a blown tire, the shock absorber is the vehicle together with a rig, rather than having a bulk of stress on the rig alone. Not sure if I'm making sense. It's physics I guess.

Like your previous shoot, I don't think you'll be getting damage on the exterior other than scratches, but it's what the jerks and impacts will do to the mechanisms. I think the 'weak parts' to note will be the CCD (in the body), the mount (holding body and lens. high impact jerks are bad for those) and the tripod socket (that goes, everything goes). The firestore seems robust (and buffered inside) enough to take the punishment. Just that it has to be secure. Dampen as much possible shock and impact as you can. Nothing is too minor to help with this.

Last note: I have not done this before because I can't afford to trash my cameras... haha.. all the best friend!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

well the shoot is this weekend. I built the rig out of titainum, and rubber. the camera is mounted to the rig not only from the tripod mount, but with 3 leather strapps. I guess we will see what happens. I will keep you all informed.
    Manoni Productions

Yes...be sure you do!