Amateur Videographer

Help with Capturing Video

Greetings, all. This is my first post in this forum, but I plan on sticking around and helping out where I can.

My problem is that I can't capture audio correctly using Premiere Pro 2.0 and a JVC GR-HD1 camera. The capture routine starts fine, and tells me that capture is working. The LCD on the camera shows the video playing and the on-camera speakers play the audio normally. Premiere tells me that everything is being captured and gives no errors/warnings.

However, after capturing the tape, I play the video on the computer, and the audio for the whole video is about the first 15 seconds of the tape looped continuously through the entire 1 hour tape. I know I got good audio when filming, but for some reason Premiere is only capturing the first fifteen seconds of audio and looping it endlessly throughout the video.

This was a rehearsal dinner/wedding/reception that I filmed for a friend, so I need to get it edited and delivered before she turns into Bridezilla. Many thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Here are my detailed specs:
    Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0
    JVC HD-GR1 Camcorder
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 3.00 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    Connected using 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire

Try capturing with different software. I'd give a link to free software that includes a good capture app, but from what I understand, I can't link anywhere for my first week as a member of this forum.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Amateur Videographer

More Info...

Thanks, tons, I will give that a try. After reading some other forums, I found that my computer recognizes my JVC HD-GR1 as a AVC Device rather than a JVC Tape Device like the manual says it should. Does anyone know where to get this driver? When I try to install the hardware manually in Windows XP, my computer doesn't even have JVC listed as one of the manufacturers. JVC support is non-responsive. Thanks!

Hmm... I seem to remember someone complaining of something similar and then claiming that a ieee1394 [firewire] hub fixed their problem. If it is purely a data hub, I doubt it did, but more than likely he/she found the software, installed it, and by installing the hub, he changed the 'port' the system saw the device on and looked for the driver again.

Also, be sure the camera is in VTR mode when you connect it. It may be detected differently in different 'modes'.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Amateur Videographer

JVC No Help

So now my only problem is that my version of Windows XP does not seem to have a driver for the JVC Tape Device like all of the instructions say it should. I have installed all updates to XP and have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but can't find anything about the JVC Tape Device.

I emailed JVC and they stated they don't support anything having to do with downloading video to the computer. Said to consult the manual for my software.

I guess the last thing to do may be to contact Adobe, but it really doesn't seem to be their issue; more like a Windows XP issue. What do you think?

Camera issue?
    Are you importing HDV or DV? If DV, is it possible to borrow another videocam to attempt digitizing again? I think it may be harder to get HDV cams though...

Software issue?
    I think Dave ever mentioned something about Premiere Pug-ins to make HDV capture work on Premiere... not sure if I've remembered wrongly though.

Have you tried to export a little portion of what you've captured? And doe it loop just like the captured footage you tried to playback?

There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Amateur Videographer
    Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Camera issue?
    Are you importing HDV or DV? If DV, is it possible to borrow another videocam to attempt digitizing again? I think it may be harder to get HDV cams though...
    I am importing HDV to Premiere 2.0, which has a setting for importing from an HDV camera. The problem with borrowing from a friend is that I've read that the JVC HD-GR1 has a proprietary compression format into MPEG-2 that means it can't even be viewed in other camcorders.

View Post
    Software issue?
    I think Dave ever mentioned something about Premiere Pug-ins to make HDV capture work on Premiere... not sure if I've remembered wrongly though.
    Yes, the camcorder came with some software, but since the camcorder was released during Premiere 1.5 (or so, I can't remember), the plug-in is not necessary, supposedly, for 2.0, and 2.0 is supposed to handle HDV from the GR-HD1 natively, according to Adobe's website.

Also, I've gotten the camera to work with 2.0 before on another computer, with audio and everything, but it just won't work this time with this new computer.

View Post
    Have you tried to export a little portion of what you've captured? And doe it loop just like the captured footage you tried to playback?
    I have tried just capturing 1 minute intervals at different points on the tape, and it always gets the first 15 seconds of audio.

What I really need to know is why my XP does not have JVC listed as one of the manufacturers of hardware that is supposedly supported by XP. Neither JVC nor Microsoft wants to help.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and I'm going to try them all one more time! You never know...

Amateur Videographer

Update... It works!

Just wanted to sort of close this forum topic and not leave everyone hanging... My capturing works fine now. Here's what's changed:

I just got Adobe Production Suite CS3 on Monday, installed it on a new computer (Quad Core, 2 GB RAM, 3x400GB SATA Hard Drives), captured, and everything worked fine.

Incidentally, XP still shows my camera as a generic tape device and not a JVC Tape Device, but it doesn't seem to matter with the capture utility in Premiere Pro CS3.

Thanks for the help, you guys, and I'll post more about CS3 once I have a chance to really get my hands dirty with it.