Shooting in Progressive Mode

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of a Panasonic DVX102, and in shooting off some quick test shots I've noticed that in standard mode, whenever there's any movement, I get ghastly jittery little horizontal lines around the edges of the movement/moving object.

When I shoot in 25p these jitters disappear, but fast movement appears slightly blurry.

I've also noticed that I only see the jitters when I've viewing the clip at 100% in Premiere Pro CS3's monitors. If I set the viewing size to fit, or 50%, etc., they disappear.

When I exported the footage to MPEG2 (set to PAL DV High Quality), the effect was barely noticeable (on a computer monitor - I haven't tried it on a TV yet).

So - my dumb questions* are:

Is it inherently better to shoot in 25p progressive or standard mode?

Is there some advanced video setting (such as Detail Level, V Detail Level, V Detail Freq) that I'm missing?

Is this just a function of Premiere Pro's monitors, and not something that I need to worry about appearing in the final product?

*I'm apt to be asking dumb questions here: My background story is that I'm a graphic/web/multimedia designer (and keen amateur photographer and occasional videographer) who applied for a job to do multi-media and post-production, and unexpectedly found that I'm now producing footage as well. I need all the help I can get!

Hi Clownfish

Progressive mode is a non-interlaced mode designed for viewing on a computer rather than a TV. If you are shooting for on-line web video standard mode is usually used so your raw footage can be rendered as MPEG 2 interlaced video for TV or as progressive video for computer.

I feel that it's always safer to shoot in normal mode so you have the option to render for both TV and computer. If you shoot progressive only your TV copy will look bad unless you can interlace the video during rendering.

Your NLE preview will show the lines ..just ignore them!!!
    Take a look at the latest clip on my diy website...at :
    http://www.diyvideo.biz
    In the NLE the motion was horrendous!!! as it was shot in standard mode
    but it's perfect on TV and still OK on the web as a flash video!!

Hope this helps a bit

Chris

Very helpful indeed. At least I won't be left worrying that I bought a completely crap camera!

Hi Clownfish
    A DX102 ...I would kill for one !!! Brilliant cammys.
    I have to be content with shooting on my little DS30 and DS 50 !!!

I think most good Pannys have progressive mode but everything I do is in normal mode...if it's for the web just don't interlace when you render the file.

Chris

Ah yes, I forgot to mention:

These are (initially) for the web - more specifically, an online learning system, but I'm sure that at least some of them will wind up on DVD further down the track.

Hi Clownfish
    If you are planning to use Dave's excellent media player here and will be making Flash Video clips then save yourself a LOT of heartache and problems and get ON2's Flix Pro software to convert the MPEG2 video into Flash FLV A very worthwhile piece of software!!!

Chris