Format of Capture for future editing

I'm new for digital video and I don't know if my question is too stupid, but here it is:
    I have several (more than 30) different tapes in NTSC: old analog 8mm, Digital 8 & MiniDV with a lot of differents subjects (different segments & themes in one cassette) taped on them, that I want to save in DVD for future editing. I have a capture card for the 8mm and both (D8 & MiniDV) cameras with Firewire & USB output, PC with both inputs, enough HD space (2 x 250Gb HD) and ULead, Pinnacle Studio, Premiere & Win Movie Maker.
    I tried capturing from the cameras (both, Sony TRV525 and JVC GRD200U) and everything goes ok. I was able to create reach a lot of REALLY BIG avi's.

What's my question then??? """FORMAT""".

In which format do I have to save it??? DV is 25Mb/s avi; it means 14Gb of info (3 DVD-R's) per hour!!!!
    I don't have big fragments, I can do it. But I'll have more DVD's than a store!!!
    Do I have to use this quality to save them? I'm not a pro, so I think that an intermediate quality can work OK.

What's your opinion, after all your experience??? Do you think it would be "wise" to save in 25Mb/s avi?
    My interest is to save them and later "join" the different fragments of the same subject (that are in different tapes now) in DVD and/or mpg. I will like to join them in a DVD and in mpg to see them both in DVD players or the PC. I know nothing about formats. I can see good quality films from internet in mpg or avi. I know there are a lot of codecs. I need to know which is the most common in order to have a FINAL work of 120 min in DVD.
    Is there any other format that can save me space and keeps the quality enough to edit and put the results in DVD format and in mpg output??

Thanks in advance. Fabián

Hi Fabian
    DV-AVI is the best format for editing later. Yes, unfortunately the size is an issue at nearly 15GB an hour but when you edit and render the finished video to MPEG2 that will give you the best result.

If size is a problem then your next option should be MPEG2 ...(that's basically what the new HDD cameras are using) Your quality will drop a wee bit (mainly noticeable with the analogue tapes). This however will give you manageable files and a 60/90 minute tape fits onto a standard DVD-R

Chris

Hi there! No problem is too stupid, at least not from what I see...

You have to remember that codecs change over time, and that will be an issue.

My take: Save AVI/DV-AVI as data in your DVD. You won't regret it, unless you don't use it.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I would go with DV/DV-AVI for the DV and Digital8 and whatever format your capture card/interface uses for VHS (most use MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 hardware encoding, some use DV).

I would rethink your storage method and suggest that you back everything up on an external hard drive rather than DVDs.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi there ,Nagar is right i think the best way for storage and avoid any compression is to backup in data format on dvd for future use but tell me as you mention all your tapes whatevere the initial format V8 hi8 etc can be captured from a player then for me you can keep the rush in their original format as far as you store the tapes correctly ,then when u need to edit you just capture directly ,its only a suggestion.