Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove background noise!

Hi,

I recorded a video at outdoor. So basically there are 8 people there. But it seems that the crowd noise is louder than the interviewees voices.

Is there a way i can remove or reduce the noise behind the scene?

Can i do this in post production?

Or can i do this in the pre production?

I hope you get my meaning.

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    By far the best way to stop this from happening is to use the right type of microphone. Either use a mic which is more directional, or use lapel mics which isolate the speaker much better.

If the damage is already done, you could try noise-reduction techniques found in most decent audio software. This involves taking a sample of the unwanted noise and automatically reducing the level of the same noise throughout the track. It works best with frequencies which are quite separate from the main audio, so it may have limited use in your situation where both the desired and unwanted audio is around the same frequencies.

These pages might be useful:
    Microphone directional properties
    Interview sound
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Just wondering,

Is lapel mic expensive?

Is it connected to my digital camcorder?

If i have to interview 3 person at the same time, how do i connect 3 mics at 1 input?

Except i buy a mic.

Is there any recommended brands for mic? i am worried to buy a low quality mic.

Not too expensive, but worth it.

Any tips?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, good lap mics are a little bit expensive. If you don't have money to burn you might be better off buying a good-quality directional hand-held mic first, or maybe even a shotgun (hypercardiod - very directional).

If you do have more than two mics running at once you will need to run them through a portable mixer, unless you have a digital camera which can record 4 channel audio.

If you use a mixer, you mix the audio from all the mics into one or two chanels for recording. For example, you could have your own mic assigned to the left channel and the interviewees all assigned to the right channel. Later, in post-production, you can pan the audio tracks back to the middle (or however you like).

My favourite brand of mic is Sennheiser, but it is an expensive brand. Shure mics are also very good and tend to be a bit cheaper. AKG is another good brand. I would stay away from the very cheap brands - they will let you down.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave, i will look into it.

cheap mic

I often use an Oktava MK-012 for tv work. Its relatively inexpensive (about 150 - compared to 800+ for a Sennheiser 416). It comes with three capsules - omni, cardioid and hypercardioid, and also a 10db pad. The hypercardioid is not as directional as a 416, but its pretty damn good for the money and it has a lovely warm sound, really nice for interviews and dialogue. You'll need to put a good wind popper on it and stick it on a half decent mount as its a studio mic and so not good for hand held (too much handling noise). Another tv/film sound friend of mine hasn't used his 416's for years now as he uses his Oktavas instead.

S D Gulamani

Mr

I have recorded indian music from 78 rpm records and it has picked up the background needle noise. Is there a way that I can get rid off the noise to have a clear recording? I would appreciate your advise.

Thanks
    sdgulamani@yahoo.com

u can get rid of it with x-noise from waves

part of the platinum set

its good shit

cool edit is good

i think u should use the cool edit program for sound editing. sometimes you just cant do anything about the noise in the background. cool edit has a function that can actually eliminate noise to some point-any way it does it better if its a his sound.
    i would still go for a lapelle or a unidirectional mic.

Quote: snowrunnerus
    View Post
    i think u should use the cool edit program for sound editing. sometimes you just cant do anything about the noise in the background. cool edit has a function that can actually eliminate noise to some point-any way it does it better if its a his sound.
    i would still go for a lapelle or a unidirectional mic.
    a blow which is inevitably yours when earlier received shall extricate you from all torrential hostilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast