starting a streaming company - what next ?

Hi all

I have spent the past 48 hours searching the net for the following questions to no avail - perhaps you guys can shed some light ?

I want to provide video/ audio on demand and live streaming hosting - I have a great host but need to offer :

- ability for new customers to create accounts based on their chosen package - ie: xx gb transfer/ yy storage - a bit like regular hosting companies

- ability for customers to then upload their various files and then have either a link or commands to embed into their website

- ability for customers to see stats for people accessing said files when/ where etc etc

>> what I cant find is any standard software to download and set it all off -

Is there anything to manage a streaming hosting company at all ?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf software that can do this. You've probably found plenty of youtube clone software but that's about where it usually stops. I imagine that people wanting to set up a live streaming business would normally pay to get a solution custom built.

Sorry I don't have any more ideas.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

hey, thanks very much for your reply.

I guess it's off to elance etc then ?

Or do you guys do anything like this ?

Thanks for your time

Blog Entries
    We can't help, sorry. elance it is.

Having said that, it might pay to ask in a few other forums first. I'd hate for you to pay a developer if there was something hidden somewhere out there already. I'm not aware of anything that would suit, but I don't want to categorically state that there is no solution.

That's basically my legal disclaimer in case you decide to sue me for giving out wrong information
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi,
    I am assuming that you don't have a background in multimedia, otherwise we would not be having this conversation.
    Tell me a bit about yourself so that, I can draw parallels, that would be easy for you to get/understand things.
    have you gotten any further in the information that your looking for,
    have you done a business plan
    have you done a marketing plan
    I am saying this because before you spend 7,000 on a streaming server, you have to have a path that you will follow to regain your costs,
    who will your competitors be??
    are they doing this already??
    what will you give your clients, that will make your products, the best thing since slice bread, for your clients??
    I am saying this because I am trying to get back some of the 20,000 that I spent without a plan??
    Executive Producer,
    Start Up Evangelist

You can try these guys.. www.vmdirect.com but you have to know someone to get in..

Quote: yoshi
    View Post
    You can try these guys.. www.vmdirect.com but you have to know someone to get in..
    I suppose that with this guys it is the devil or the deep blue sea,
    I have a vmdirect folder lying around here somewhere.
    where they lost me was the 50 per month and the mlm aspect of it
    are there any other then vmdirect available
    Executive Producer,
    Start Up Evangelist

Quote: willie04
    View Post
    I suppose that with this guys it is the devil or the deep blue sea,
    I have a vmdirect folder lying around here somewhere.
    where they lost me was the 50 per month and the mlm aspect of it
    are there any other then vmdirect available
    No.. they do just what they say though right? They stream all my videos in all kinds of formats. I do see that their prices start at $9.95 to get your streaming videos online. I like the live broadcasting.

You dont have to get the mlm part. You can just be a customer that gets to use all their streaming video servers options for what I said above. If getting your videos onto your website and being able to stream them and more for less than $10 a month, then good luck finding someone or any company to allow you to stream for free.

I feel that $10 a month for allowing me to stream all my videos, host my photos, mp3's, daily blogs, podcast, video IM and allow live internet broadcasting is a good price. Free would be better but we all know no one will offer free for all that's here.
    Last edited by yoshi; 8th Jul 2007 at 18:09.

Quote: leeds1
    View Post
    Hi all

I have spent the past 48 hours searching the net for the following questions to no avail - perhaps you guys can shed some light ?

I want to provide video/ audio on demand and live streaming hosting - I have a great host but need to offer :

- ability for new customers to create accounts based on their chosen package - ie: xx gb transfer/ yy storage - a bit like regular hosting companies

- ability for customers to then upload their various files and then have either a link or commands to embed into their website

- ability for customers to see stats for people accessing said files when/ where etc etc

>> what I cant find is any standard software to download and set it all off -

Is there anything to manage a streaming hosting company at all ?

Thanks in advance
    You could do this with VLC's VLM. You would have to modify the html files for the http interface to restrict it or control it via shell commands on the telnet interface. You would have to write the code for this or have someone else do it, but one instance of VLC can do it. Note: Be sure your hosting company is ok with you doing this!
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler