How do I set up my camcorder to computer?

Hi I have a JVC camcorder model gr-sxm25ou I looked on the JVC website but I think that this camcorder is from 2003, so there is no longer any support information. I have vista right now, and firewire yet my computer is not recognizing the camera. I would like to be able to film then edit on the computer, and then convert to a more compressed digital format. I am hoping that this camera has digital abilities because one of the features is "digital signal processing"?? any help would be awesome!

Adeline

nevermind!:)

I finally found some information, I need a different type of cable looks like I will need an A/V s-cable, which I ordered!

You will need some sort of capture device to capture from an analog camera such as the GRSXM250.
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 16th Jul 2007 at 22:08. Reason: Checked the model, is S-VHS-C, not DV
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

okay still having issues

so, I need to have some kind of device that can capture the analog video into digital? does anyone know a good way to do this? The only way that I have read so far is to connect into another camera that is digital, hence my problem of not owning one....any suggestions? anything would be great!

Adeline

so I read that you can actually capture that analog with the computer, I am pretty sure my video card will be able to convert the analog....also I read that you can convert the analog using a digital camera...(photo) ??? How would that work with the audio part...sorry I am just learning how to do all this stuff!!

If your machine has analog video input somehow, you will have to read the manual for whatever in your machine allows analog video input. Some cards require you plug the audio into a line input, some require it elsewhere.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

okay..think i got it

so it looks like I can just connect with the s-cable directly into my computer and the I have to get another cord for the audio which will connect into my mic-input....I am not sure about the other video line on the camera...we'll see if this works

sooo...it the s cord idea does not work....

alright so here is the issue, I have an old analog JVC that can connect directly to my PC, it appears that I have a capture card built directly into the computer. I have an audio line running into the mic line, not really sure if it is even connecting though, it feels very loose so I am guessing not. I read an article on microsoft's website about capturing analog video to convert into digital...and it seemed to make sense. Yet, I am running Vista this article was for XP. Now, my question is, can I connect to a VCR with the camera running through to the VCR to capture my video? Any ideas would be great, I think updating to a new camera would be the best, but I really don't have the $$. I am making videos for scholarship applications. Thank you!

Here a link to that article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314575

firewire

Quote: ihavethefunk
    View Post
    Hi I have a JVC camcorder model gr-sxm25ou I looked on the JVC website but I think that this camcorder is from 2003, so there is no longer any support information. I have vista right now, and firewire yet my computer is not recognizing the camera. I would like to be able to film then edit on the computer, and then convert to a more compressed digital format. I am hoping that this camera has digital abilities because one of the features is "digital signal processing"?? any help would be awesome!

Adeline
    1st of you ensure that there is a firewire connector is available on your camcoder or not. if your camcoder record video in DV format then it is possible to direct transfer your video to pc through camcoder otherwise 1st yout have to convert your video in digital format then you can load your video to computer.
    working of firewire cheaked through device manager. cheak it now and also ensure that there is no breakage in your firewire cable. best of luck for editing.