Halogen Work Lamp Lighting

Hi. My name is Ken. And I am a noob! Isn't that how I should start out?

In reading through the site I saw one on a limited budget could use Halogen Work Lamps (HWL) for lighting though it may be a good idea to use a diffusion gel.

Our first project will be some simple 30 second commercial style videos shot indoors with pretty poor ambient lighting. The question is, "What's the best bet for using diffusion gels with the HWLs?"

In my initial search I have found Dedolight Mixed Diffusion Gel Filters . I think I could work up some brackets or such to mount over the light.

Thanks to all. I am looking forward to getting quite a bit from this site!

-Ken
    God is good all the time!
    Cleary Baptist Church ARC

Quote: kenholm3
    View Post
    Hi. My name is Ken. And I am a noob!
    Hi Ken!
    Isn't that how I should start out?
    Actually, I think that's a different group, but sure.

In reading through the site I saw one on a limited budget could use Halogen Work Lamps (HWL) for lighting though it may be a good idea to use a diffusion gel.
    Diffuse lighting is useful, yes.
    Our first project will be some simple 30 second commercial style videos shot indoors with pretty poor ambient lighting. The question is, "What's the best bet for using diffusion gels with the HWLs?"
    Whatever spreads the light and tones it down enough [sorry I can't provide any specifics here, it will depend to greatly on your situation]
    In my initial search I have found Dedolight Mixed Diffusion Gel Filters .
    You could use those, but for an improvised light source, a roll or large sheets (I am not sure how large those are, I cannot find specifics).

I think I could work up some brackets or such to mount over the light.
    Never underestimate the power of the C47.
    Good luck
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Thanks much Tons. Our rag-tag crew will be shooting some test footage tomorrow night. We're looking forward to using the techniques described in this site as well as getting a few C47s!

Thank you again!

-Ken

Hi Ken
    The work lights I use are excellent and cheap!! Here we get them on a tripod with a spreader bar with 2 x 500w lamps for a mere $35.00 at the hardware store.
    Halogen light is pretty harsh so you might also think about using reflected light. If I'm in a room with a white ceiling, I simply tilt the lamps at 45 degrees so they bounce off the ceiling and onto the talent...this way you get a nice soft light. If you are working in areas with a high roof (sounds like you just might be working in the church??) then buy some nice big sheets of polystyrene foam and bounce the light off them (just be careful as the sheets will melt instantly if they are close to the lights!!!) I normally have 'em about 2 metres away at least!!

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, we're working inside the church with a high vaulted ceiling. We did a series of test shots this evening (about two hours ago) with the lights. We've pulled them off to the computer and will be manipulating them in the next few days to see how they turned out. We're anxious to see the results.

Thanks again Chris.

-Ken