Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi Nagar

My little Dimage 7Hi is only 5.2 megapixels but it shoots in almost lossless JPEG as well as TIFF and RAW and the image quality is awesome!!

Really, unless you are planning to print 6' x 4' posters you don't have to have a 12 megapixel camera. With the Dimage I could comfortably print 16x20 prints without any problem as the particular optics are rather good even if it's lens is a fixed one. The reason I got it was because it has NO power zoom and if about the only "non-SLR" that still has a barrel zoom, and FULL manual facilities as well as the ability to auto-focus and then tweak the focus on the manual ring too.

My wife has a little 5 megapixel Kodak but if you compare image quality with Dimage they are completely different so "megapixels" don't make quality if you have a tiny little lens!! I see most manufacturers now have "point and shoot" units that fit in the palm of your hand and are 12 megapixels but I doubt whether the image would be anywhere near the quality of a lower megapixel camera with good glass!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    I see most manufacturers now have "point and shoot" units that fit in the palm of your hand and are 12 megapixels but I doubt whether the image would be anywhere near the quality of a lower megapixel camera with good glass!
    Oh I totally agree. It's a total package -both sensor and lens are equally important to achieve the quality of the final product that the photographer desires.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey Chris, I can do a short write up abt megapixels and sensor size if needs be. Let me know.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

That would be great but make it a new post otherwise it will get lost in this one!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of education regarding still cameras or will you also delve into the mysteries of video chips, total/effective pixels and footprints???

Hmmm for now maybe stay with just still sensors and resolution I think!!

Chris

heh.. okay got it...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

To qualify my question, here's an example. The first few DSLRs ranged around 5 megapixels and they were the top of the range, pro cams used by pros. Today on the average, about 10 at least. So did it make the products of the former less pro?

I personally believed, before starting the E-System, that 12 was enough," Watanabe said, referring to the company’s line of mainstream DSLRs. "We interviewed many professional photographers, people in studios, about how many they needed in the future. Before we started, the system, we had a rough idea we'd be at a plateau at 12 megapixels. We gradually increased the pixel count

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVz3HApAng

Quote: rackdude
    View Post
    also, the difference between slr and regular

what can u get away with?
    simple single les reflector(SLR) shows the realtime image which is sensed by the image recorder,at the same time the regular shows the image through your view finder

well, 2.1 megapixels with a good small dyesub printer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234