48kHz vs 96kHz sampling rate

Hi,

new to the forum.. AWESOME forum. Found it trying to research XLR-to-1/4" considerations.

I wanted to know if the quality difference between 48kHz and 96kHz is extremely obvious and noticeable?

Also, anybody use the Alesis HD24 hard drive recorder and have any feedback on their satisfaction with it?

Thanks.
    Richiro

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comment about the site. It's not the fastest forum in the world for responses, but almost every message does get a decent response sooner or later

One of the audio gurus might be able to give you a better answer, but I can say with reasonable confidence that the difference between 48kHz and 96kHz will not be extremely obvious. I seriously doubt whether anyone would even call it noticeable.

48kHz is slightly better than CD quality and this will be more than enough for most people.

I would say however that it probably makes sense to be editing and mastering your audio with the highest sample rates possible. You can drop it down to a lower rate for distribution. This applies to any sort of media - use the best quality you can afford for edit/masters but distribute the content in the most cost-effective way that still meets the consumer's needs.

Still, if you have to use 48kHz for recording and/or editing, I wouldn't be too concerned at all.

Can't tell you about the Alesis sorry. I've only ever owned one Alesis product (it was an effects unit) and I was very happy with it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I'll have to say, i LOVE Alesis. Nanoverb, my keyboard (7 yrs old and still going strong w/out feeling need to upgrade yet), and now a new digital recorder.

This question is in relation to weighing whether the additional money is worth it for a subset of 96kHz capable channels in our purchase. The concern being it's an all 1/4" unit (no XLR's... which seemed curious). So in researching XLR-to-1/4" implications, that's how I found this site.

Again, lots of great info here, and thanks a bunch to you gurus for sharin' the knowledge with some of us upstarts who are now catching up with music technology finally. It's MUCH appreciated.

Richey

alesis is awesome

they have quality equiptment

n the best sampling rate is alwayz the highest u can afford

even tho after 96 khz u cant really hear much of a diff....

192 is way over the hearing threshold of humans

so unless ur gonna play ur song to horses or bunnies

96 will deal 4 life

scratch that, alesis is good equiptment, but they're stuff is only at 48khz rite now.

id say get urself a good converter, apogee rosetta 800 will last for life and can double for hd systems later in your life

u will end up needing one sooner or later

y delay the inevitable?

that, with a good mic pre w/ digital outs will give you the best recording station money can have, to hd or through its firewall card

one good track is all you need to overdub untill you get to drums

which you would want a good 8-track mic pre newayz, which means get the digital card for that and run it through rosetta

and really

adats are outdated

stay away

go digital