Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Hello everyone
    To give you a quick idea im in last year of high school and want to study film at college/university. Basically portfolio is a major influence in acceptance and lets say mine is a little bare.I have previous
    work but for my last high school film assignment i want to make a big effort. The assignment is to make and arthouse/art film. So pretty much a depressing theme of some sort. Anyway, im stuck with using low budget 1ccd canon handycams which isnt to great. Ive read plenty about acheiving the film look and from what i can tell is not very possible with the camera im using. I have had some promising results using magic bullet plugins but i feel if the camera was set right i would have better results.

If someone could take the time to write a list of things to do to help with image quality ie white balance. Also what exactly needs to be adjusted in post to make the image look more 'filmish' like more contrast or something. it would be much appreciated. Basically anything you have found which is preferably free or very low budget that helps the overall production look semi-professional.

This isn't really my field, but I've seen some excellent film-like results on high end video gear (digibeta and xdcam), but the low end stuff is diffucult, if your camera will shoot 24p or 25p this will give a more "filmic" feel, then a good grade can really look almost like super16, I've recently worked on a short film which is in post now, shot with an XL2 and looks almost as good as film, downside is it all costs !
    I've reccomended it before, but a good book for low budget film makers is the "$30 film school", by Michael Dean (no relation, honest!!!)
    ISBN 1-59200-067-3 find it in the bargain bin at your local book store !

hey thanks for the reply. If i had an xl2 i would be so happy. Im stuck with a very low end camera. It doesnt have the option of progressive scan or fps either. It has the ability to change shutter speed and if that is the same as fps then im sorry but im not to sure. I think it starts round 1/50 then goes up untill 1/2000. But yeah i jsut wanna get the camera working to its best potential so in post i have a bettrer chance of acheiving the desired results.