Question about using camcorders to convert and capture

Hi I have been learning all about trying to convert analogue video into digital...after many attempts to do it directly to my PC I read an article that states vista does not support analogue : (. So, I am thinking about checking out a Sony DCR-HC36 Camcorder from my school library just to use as a capture/converter to my PC with a JVC gr-sxm25ou. I just was wondering the best way to set up this without frying anything! Any comments or suggestions would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Most reasonable camcorders have passthru. Just make sure the cammy has analogue input first and plug your source into the machine and then the firewire cable into your computer. The camera will automatically convert the analogue signal to digital and output it via the firewire port as a DV-AVI video.

after reading your posts (this thread and others) i am unable to find what program you are going to use to edit/compress the video? let us know
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

nero

i have nero 07 and my computer is a Dell inpiron e 1505 (lap top) I have 80 gigs of hard drive, video ram 1.5 gig, duo processing 1.73 GHz and 1733 Mhz two cores....so hopefully this will be enough power to get me started. When I bought this computer I really wasn't thinking much about media, but now I am really getting into it. I definitely will be hanging around to learn some things. Thanks for all your comments!

Adeline

Hi Adeline
    I think what he means is what software will you use to both capture and edit the clips that you are proposing to get???
    Firstly you WILL need some software that "talks" to the DV camera via the Firewire port and saves your clip as a DV AVI file on your hard drive.
    Just remember that DV video captured as raw footage will consume around 1GB of disk space for every 4 minutes of video!!!
    Most NLE's (Non Linear Editing) software do have a capture facility as well as an edit facility and most DV cameras usually come with one. (I run Panasonic Cammys and they came with Motion DV Studio, which allows camera control via the computer and allows editing) However I use Sony Vegas for editing purely by choice!!

OK, in a nutshell you capture the video from the camera onto your hard drive as a DV AVI file (this is your raw, unedited footage). You then edit it in your NLE adding the necessary titles etc etc and then the NLE will "render" the file into an MPEG2 video file. If you are looking at a DVD then yes, you can just use the "wizard" in Nero to create and burn a DVD with a simple menu.

Hope that answers a few questions

Chris

nero

I think my nero program actually can capture's video as well, it has so many options, I know nero is typically used to just burn dvd's and what not, but this is the premium nero..??? I have microsofts media movie creator which is pretty simple too to get me started. Thanks for your comments!

Hi there. It does seem that Nero has some video digitising function, but I have not tried my hand at it. I have and am using Nero Express 6. Or version 6.6.0.14. Let me know if it's similar on your side.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

i have the ultra edition nero 7, and it has video and audio, and photos as well. This will be a good starting program for me, although I would like to get adobe's media program. It looks complex, yet powerful! I ended up having to have a video studio convert the vhs-c into a dvd, (AVI) format. Only 20 bucks! I am very happy, now I can actually get it in my program.

Hopefully helpful

I have had a lot of problems transferring stuff from my analog camera to my computer, even though I had the so-called "right" video card, etc. I am running Windows XP.
    Then I bought a "Video to USB Adaptor" which cost my $99 in Australia.
    I couldn't get it to work either until I tried using ""Windows Movie Maker" and all worked well.
    The problem I had with earlier efforts was to record the camera sound. I have to make sure the "Line In" on the "Volume Control" isn't set to mute.
    I can easily add music, do voice over and all that.

Hi Brian
    Be careful with video to USB units. They are not very good at holding sync as they have no timebase correction. What you really need is a ADV convertor made by Datavideo (DAC200) which is an Analogue to DV bridge so your video is converted into Digital via a firewire connection...both picture quality and audio are excellent but they cost $499 in Oz!!!

As mentioned before a cheap DV camcorder works well too. Both my Panasonic DS30 and DS50 cammys have this facility and cost less than $200 on eBay!!!

I tried my USB VideoMaker once and quickly sold it!!!! (mine was $88)

Chris