Canon GL2 & Lighting Weirdness

We're using a Canon GL2 and some shoplights.

* Key Light, two 500w halogens on a stand to the left and rear of the camera angled down at the actors' faces.

* Fill light one 500w halogen to the right and rear of the camera angled down at the actors' faces.

* Back light one 500w halogen to the left of the camera (same as key light), behind the actors slightly above head height.

You can pan the camera left 30 degrees and see the back light.

The initial shot is an extreme closeup of one actor's face. We slow zoom out so the small group of actors around the principal are in frame. During that zoom, the lighting starts wigging out in the shot. That is, the physical lights never change; however, the effect on the film is funky. It's like the camera is re-adjusting exposure or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this?

Many thanks,

-Ken
    God is good all the time!
    Cleary Baptist Church ARC

ken

Take the camera OFF Full Auto!!!!!
    full auto will keep trying to adjust to the light as you zoom out.

If this is not the problem

Can you drop this on You tube so i can see what you are talking about?

I am guessing that all the lighting that you are doing is concentrated on the main Actor.....that may be your problem. All the people in the frame should be lit the same (not necessarily the same light brightness, but i a realistic light difference from Person 1 to the rest of the people)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

So you're saying to take it off full auto, right? Seriously, sounds like a noob mistake. We'll try that. I'll see if I can get the snip online.

AND... we'll make sure we're lighting the group, not an individual.

Thanks,

-Ken
    God is good all the time!
    Cleary Baptist Church ARC

hey i am here to help.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

I must agree with the auto comment (note it might not be in full auto but simply auto shutter or auto iris). Auto is bad. It is a telltale sign of bad video.

That all being said, you may want to take your backlight and drop it behind your talent and shoot it up rather than down, it provides the same fringe (this also leads to the nice side effect that your light stand and light can now be hidden from view behind talent so you can turn more than 30 degrees and maybe slide your camera over a bit to keep the scene balanced).
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi

Unless you have a huge group in a warehouse the lights also seem to be a bit of an overkill. 4 x 500w halogens is an awful lot of light and the cam is probably fighting to control exposure and the iris is more than likely going to be stopped down to almost closed with that amount of light.
    I must admit that I tend to bounce my halogens off the ceiling or off a white reflector rather than use direct light as it's harsh and usually way too low anyway (that's why TV studios use overhead banks)

Just try a few test shots with half the light and bounce it off a nice big sheet of white polystyrene and you will find your lighting will be a lot more even, softer and the cammy will cope a lot better

Chris