Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Then go check out a relevant Beachtek adapter to input XLRs. (http://www.beachtek.com/)

As for lavaliers, you might want to consider Audio-Technica ones?

What kind of software you will use depends on what kind of streaming quality you need. And also making more sense, is there a need to convert a higher quality one for archiving?
    Thanks so much for these suggestions! After looking over the beachtek site and reading the specifications on the adapters, I think I have a better understanding of how these things work!

As for the archiving, I hadn't really thought of that, but yes! I think that is something we should definitely do. The streaming quality... well, people with MS often have visual impairment and occasionally cognitive impairment. Audio quality will be very important for the cognitive issues (it needs to be clear to minimize distraction), and with the video I need to strike a balance where it can be displayed at a reasonable size without too much distortion, but won't be huge and bandwidth-hogging.

that should work fine with a good video capture/encoder card

the sony cam and the xlr inputs

id say go 4 it

I'm very interested by what you said about firewire vs. USB! The camera we have is a mini-DV cam, albeit a very old one (it's a Sony DCR-PC101). Is it possible that if I connect it to the PC via firewire or s-video that I'd get the kind of picture quality I'd need? If that's the case, then I could simply get a converter for the XLR mics I already have and be good to go.
    Apologies that I've not seen the camera, but if it has a firewire port, use it. Forget about the USB unless you have recorded on a flash card (the memory stick).

I trust you have progressed from where you've started. Work hard, have fun!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post

Apologies that I've not seen the camera, but if it has a firewire port, use it. Forget about the USB unless you have recorded on a flash card (the memory stick).

I trust you have progressed from where you've started. Work hard, have fun!
    I have. You were correct - the camera I have works just fine when connected via firewire. I've selected and purchased my software (I'm using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate, since price was a big factor), and now I'm using the advice I got here to find the microphones. Thanks so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12