Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for Music Videos

I have some friends in a band that asked me to video tape a live song for them, so they can post it to the internet etc...I was wondering if anyone has any tips on editing / shooting music videos. I am planning this shoot in the fall, I am definitely going to rent some equipment so it looks fairly reasonable. I am going to use three cameras for two stationary spots, with tripods and then one camera on a rig to move around. Then I think we are going to film somewhere outdoors of the band fake playing, and have a story going on with the live footage, and then their song all clipped together. Any other ideas / tips would be most welcomed!

Adeline

If you are going to shoot a live show and are looking for video quality.....either DO NOT record in the music, and put it in later......or GET GOOD mics, and run the mics (All of them not just the singer as well as audio out pre amp all to a sound board and mix it in to the camera
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

and get lots of different types of video eg; close ups, extreme close ups, angled shots etc.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Honestly you do not need to rent too many cameras, 2 will be more than enough unless you're short of time; you've got the budget for all these. Kaw's mentioned a live show... if you want to have one good take in real time from a couple of cameras, it'll be a 'fun' time during edit unless you're mixing live. That will incur cost for more equipment.

One of the key prep is to listen to their song, get a good feel of the 'essence' of the song, the lyrics, the message it is conveying. Get that feel translated into visuals... and you don't even need to have the band playing on their instruments all the time in the video! Weave a storyline in or something...

My 5 cents' worth
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

ya... id have to say too that its not really about getting shots of the band playing. People these days like to see a good video, a visual of the lyrics basically, so you will only need the band to play the insturments maybe in the chorus, and you can just get random fake shots of them doing it. I mean, just put on the song you already have recorded in the background, and have them mimik it, that way they kind of seem like they are playing the right notes and on time for when you edit it in. Then just shoot that from 5 or 6 angles, zoom on the singer in 2 or 3 ways, and it will look legit if you have somewhat of a story for most of the song

"One of the key prep is to listen to their song, get a good feel of the 'essence' of the song, the lyrics, the message it is conveying. Get that feel translated into visuals... and you don't even need to have the band playing on their instruments all the time in the video! Weave a storyline in or something... "

Hey thanks for your advice, I have been researching the cost of cameras looks like I would be better off to buy another camera along with the one I have rather than spending the money to rent for one day. I am going to be filming a live show / fake outdoor show, then we are going to have the lead singer with his girlfriend "meet" each other in a coffee shop and have a love story going along...also the same with the sax player and his daughter, showing the love between them, etc...for all the other band members. Also the angles tip, and close ups will be great. I am going to do closeup's on each band member then transition into the story for each individual.....the only thing I am worried about it matching up the vocals with the lip sinking..... not sure how to approach that one....but I will give it my best shot!! thanks for everyone's input!

have him lip sync while listening to the song in the background, then juz edit out the sound in the post
    Last edited by kawsakimx6; 4th Aug 2007 at 23:07.

Quote: rackdude
    View Post
    have him lip sync while listening to the song in the background, then juz edit out the sound in the post

this will never work. The lips will never match the song for the full 3-5 min. it would be a editing nightmare!!!!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

just do clips

have a storyline planned out and know the clips that have to be synced, then just practice and sync those parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast