How do they do it in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQrF_Gkz2ZQ

I was wondering how they did several special effects from the above video.

Firstly, how did they make the guy pop up so smoothly at 00:58

Secondly, how did they make the guy fly so high up and back down when the someone punched him at 01:06

Also, how did they make the chairs move at 01:16

Can you do this all in After Effects?

Thanks for your help!!!

ok the :58 looks like a green screen morph.

this is where you film the guy from the befining of the kick to the end on in front of the green screen. Do a morph in (you can find a tut on this forum) about half way through.

the 1:06 punch was done with strings..

when he gets hit, he gets pulled up! then either a dummy gets thrown or a stunt double at the far part of the screen
    (NOTICE THE CUTS BEFORE AND AFTER THE LANDING...)

and as far as 1:16. i would go with strings or a green screen with extra cloth to be able to be pulled back.

I hope this helps you. ther are of corse many ways to make the same effects.....get creative!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

What do you mean by strings? Are you talking about actual strings that gets manually pulled while filming or are you talking about something that you do when you edit the video?

Hi Peter
    Remember too that a LOT of effects are also based on assumption. If your talent climbs to the roof of a building and the camera then cuts to a shot of the street below and then to the talent jumping over a small wall, the viewer will automatically assume that the jump was from the roof. If you throw a dummy off a roof and the previous shot was the talent yelling "I'm gonna jump" then the viewer will also assume that the falling figure IS the actor. You don't even HAVE to show the fall. The actor climbing the stairs and leaping over a small wall and disappearing can be followed by a limp body lying on the awning of the shop below and the viewer automatically thinks "Wow, he's dead!!!" Because nothing else is happening the 2 scenes are instantly related!!!

A lot of amateurs tend to try and film the action as it happens which just bores the audience. If I grab my car keys and the next shot shows a car arriving at a house ...it's assumed that I will get out...you don't have to show me getting into the car and driving all the way...the audience will expect me to get out the car.

You can use this often to make effects cool without showing everything. It's essential that you keep the viewer thinking so interest is high!!

Chris

Quote: PeterBZ
    View Post
    What do you mean by strings? Are you talking about actual strings that gets manually pulled while filming or are you talking about something that you do when you edit the video?
    nope actual strings.....well cords. they make Green ones to match the screen
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!