Thread: SVHS?

SVHS?

I have been offered a SHVS camera for really cheap. Is SVHS worth using?

Blog Entries
    As a recording medium I would try and avoid it unless it's your only affordable option. SVHS is too old.

But the camera could still be useful in other ways, for example, as a studio camera, security camera or webcam. The camera itself is likely to be good quality - it's just the recording medium that's pretty much obsolete.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Also, it's possible that if it has s-video in and records on standard VHS video tapes, you could use it for making VHS dubs of your work and "arguably" get a little better quality than going composite in to a normal VHS deck.

I got JVC Ky-15 camera body with BRS-411 Professional SVHS recorder dock. It is a pro camera that was used in national TV for years, but the SVHS standard is not really an broadcast, but its quality is very good, I would say around Hi8 recordings. (sorry for my english, as I'm not native english speaker)

Well, I am confused now... I know that SVHS as a format wasn't really used in broadcast, but more in semipro of cable TV network. But, when I look at the chart at http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp048.htm I see that SVHS format is better in quality than even Beta SP?! Dave, help..... Am I right when I say that SVHS is not better than BetaSP?

Blog Entries
    Technically speaking, some specs of S-VHS (and other formats such as Hi-8) are better than Beta SP. However this doesn't necessarily result in a better picture as there are more specs to consider. Beta SP is definitely a superior format despite having fewer lines of resolution. The quality difference comes from other things such as Beta SP's separate recording tracks for luminance and chrominance, and the better signal to noise ratio.

I know it seems odd when you look at the bandwidth & resolution specs - SVHS looks better. But it ain't so.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave! It is interesting to see again that better specs don't always mean better quality.... As it is similar to our daily lives...