software for video

I know I had a post on this before, but I finalized my decisions and want some input on my future set up

so...

critique my set-up:

Sony vegas 7 w/ dvd archetect
    Combustion
    Nuke
    Maya
    Photoshop
    After Effects (if needed)

I was thinking combustion and maya doing the motion graphics fx and nuke being the main compositor for all my work. Also, I was thinking, cause I heard this is a good thing to do, of utilizing combustion for its paint tool, which is supposedly a lot better than nuke.
    My movie is an action movie and I have a pc.

We will need some gun shots, explosions, and make a scene look as if it had snow.

any other suggestions for software?

also, what are some good pluggins?

would I need after effects?

Quote: rackdude
    View Post
    I know I had a post on this before, but I finalized my decisions and want some input on my future set up

so...

critique my set-up:

Sony vegas 7
    I personally can't stand the interface, it is hard to do some things that other editing software makes very easy. (although it does have a few advantages effects wise, if you are pushing for these, I would think that NewTek's SpeedEdit may be better suited for your purposes)
    w/ dvd archetect
    ULead DVD Workshop is the best low-end price range tool that I have found for DVD Authoring. It actually has a few advanced features and is easy to use.
    Combustion
    Nuke
    Maya
    Never really used them enough to comment on them.
    Photoshop
    Again, I'm a big fan of the right tool for the right job. Paintshop Pro or Bauhaus Software's Mirage are right for images for video.
    After Effects (if needed)
    While it is true that it can do a lot, it seems that it takes too much effort and I personally can't stand the interface at all. With the effects and compositing that I do, I mainly use Mirage for compositing and fancy effects sequences, it seems much easier than what I've seen people who are familiar with AE do. Nuke and Combustion will probably be able to do everything that you would do with AE anyway (I haven't used either for more than an hour, so I can't say for sure). The main reason I like Mirage is it works well for animation, simple compositing, and effects sequences, without having to go through all the motions of moving between software. I've actually made full :15 and :30 spots with Mirage and an Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition).
    I was thinking combustion and maya doing the motion graphics fx and nuke being the main compositor for all my work. Also, I was thinking, cause I heard this is a good thing to do, of utilizing combustion for its paint tool, which is supposedly a lot better than nuke.
    My movie is an action movie and I have a pc.

We will need some gun shots, explosions, and make a scene look as if it had snow.

any other suggestions for software?
    Audio editing software. I personally like CEP/Adobe Audition, due to its single-file and mult-file interface. You may also want something like Acid for creating loops (although CEP/Audition can do this, it seems like Acid does a much better job).

also, what are some good pluggins?
    What do you need plugins for?

would I need after effects?
    most likely no.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

audio software im covered

vegas has basically sound forge built into it

and for looping and sequencing, i got ableton live 6 and cubase sx 3, with reason rewired into that and fruity loops (6 i believe, I haven't used it in awhile, I just like it for quick and easy drum sequencing for trance music)

for paint and roto, you would say don't use photoshop? I heard combustion had some great paint and roto built into it, but do u think i should also add paintshop pro or mirage to it? If so, which one?

I dissagree with tonsofpcs.

I dont know about vegas too much howwever YOu WILL need after effects....

and have you ever used maya? If not you may want to start with Daz studio or Poser to learn about 3D enviroments. depending on what you are doing you may not want to start with a 10,000 program. I personaly use Maya alot, but I have been using it for ever there is STEEP learning curve on this program!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

still... wat would u reccomend for paint and roto?

photoshop? Combustion? Paintshop pro?

i like photoshop better the the rest...that is just me...paint shop pro is just tricky to use
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

rackdude, apologies, but I have to ask rather than answer because I think that's the way to clarify and tighten the answer to your question:

Are you/any of the guys with you already a skilled user of those software you've mentioned? Have you any idea/inkling of how what you want can be possibly done with those software?

If it is yes to both, I'd say go ahead. Having a software you've never used before to do something (unless you have all the time in the world, and this project is really meant to boost your learning curve in technical know-how) is just not helpful. I've seen enough of that...

The right tools for the right job. Definitely. But I believe in room for quick thinking and modification for adaptability's sake.

Sorry guerilla film-maker mentality has been employed here... haha..
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    The right tools for the right job. Definitely. But I believe in room for quick thinking and modification for adaptability's sake.

Sorry guerilla film-maker mentality has been employed here... haha.. [/COLOR]
    Well if you're in a rush, anything that is available and works is usable. I have built adapters and converters that if I had planned or even expected to need them, I would never have even thought of something of the sort, but due to necessity, any spare bits of wire and connectors become adapters , same thing for software or anything else in a rush.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

well, our video doesnt have to be released till april/may, and ive alwayz had a knack for learning software fast, and ive used some after effects and premire, but not enough to totally love it

so, im juz looking for w/e is the best, then ill learn whats the best

instead of getting and learning something that doesnt have all the capabilities i will need in the future

u c where im goin with this?