Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video to dvd?

video to dvd?

Have Memorial video of my son. Need to put on dvd. Too expensive commercially. Any suggestion? Also need a copy of rules. Novice.

Blog Entries
    A few questions to start with...

What sort of computer do you have? Do you have a DVD writer? Burning software? Video editing and/or DVD authoring software?

What format is the video currently in?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

vhs?

I don't know what you just said. It is a vhs. I don't know much about this computer just that it says XP when I turn it on. Like I said I am still in the stone ages. And I just downloaded shockwave adobe so I could view the commercial contest video. Think of me as I am in Kindergarden. Let me finish school or kick me out. What do you say? Still want the Bud Lite!

Blog Entries
    That's fine - knowing where you're at makes it easier to help.

The bad news is that this is a relatively advanced task for a newbie so you'll probably need some patience and resilience to get it done. To be honest there's a good chance that you won't be able to do it without spending money or asking for "real-world" help, but don't let that stop you trying.

There are a few possible approaches, including:
    (1) Record from the VHS tape directly to a DVD recorder. Obviously this would require borrowing or hiring a DVD recorder.
    (2) Record (capture) the VHS footage to your computer's hard drive, then convert it to DVD format and record (burn) it to a disc.

Sorry I don't have time to go into more detail right now (maybe someone else can) but I think this is a good topic worthy of a dedicated tutorial. All ideas and tips for easy DVD creation are welcome.

In the meantime it would really help to know if you have a DVD burner - you're a bit stuck without one! Start by having a look at the disc tray where you put in CDs. Does it show the DVD logo? What other letters and numbers are shown?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

one thing dave did not mention is that if you do not have the equipment that he has stated that you need, it may be cheaper to have a local shop in the area do it.

Lets start by asking what type of computer you have and what video software is on there....if any.

Also let me know how long the VHS is and i can let you know what you expect to spend (or at least what my shop would charge you to dub it over)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

is scenarist the best dvd authoring software?

Quote: rackdude
    View Post
    is scenarist the best dvd authoring software?
    This is a loaded question. I use DVD studio pro.....there are a few free ones out there that are good, but a lot of them will not actually burn DVD Quality
    Manoni Productions

oh just shoot me now!!!!!!!

I had this all typed in and ready to send and hit the spellcheck logo and lost everything. So to make a long story short... Will this work? I checked out my computer. Says Dvd on the front of the drawer. SO could I put the tape in my camcorder Panasonic PV-L550D (The one I am needing the Manual for by the way)another story, so then could I hook up a usb cable to the camcorder and run it through Picasa.com and burn it to a dvd? It says burn cd or dvd on the Picasa. Or will I just explode the whole computer? And that smilie faqce is over there laughing at me for being so lame.

as long as your computer has a DVD burner and not just a player...it should work......Congrats.....welcome to the wide world of film!`
    Manoni Productions

Hi Liz,

I've taken a super-duper quick look at the camera you inquired about and your question... and there're not a few issues I foresee you'll have before getting to the 'finish line'.

1. I found that your video camera cannot connect directly to your computer because of the age and technology of your camera. Putting videos onto a computer from a video camera won't work with a USB cable.

Possible solution: You need a 'middleman' device that can communicate with both your video camera and your PC. See if this older post can help you..
    http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3298

2. Picasa does video? Or photos only? Apologies I asked this due to my ignorance abt Picassa... as I always seen it as a photo-related software...

I'd like to enquire the same question as Kaw asked: 3. How much tape do you have to convert? And on top of that ask another: 4. Are you going to continue using this camcorder to capture videos?

If your answers to the following questions are:
    1. Yes I realise I can't connect the camera to the PC and I am keen to buy a 'middleman' device
    2. Yes, Picassa CAN burn videos! And I do have a DVD burner (have you managed to find out abt that?)
    3. I have lots of tape to convert
    4. Yes I am intending to use this video cam to convert.

And at least 3 answers are what I have put up above, I suggest you do a little 'investment' to do that. What to get next, we can talk again.

If 2 or less answers correspond to the above, I strongly recommend you send it to a shop. It likely will make more dollars and sense (cents ). And of cos, ask Kaw for a discount? Just kidding... maybe Kaw can give a rough estimate...

Trust this is useful.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast