Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new iMac

dave that computer will run fine, IF you are just doing cuts and wipes. Any graphics and that thing will be moving like a yak in the winter. does Adobe not handle HDV? i don't know, because i have been using macs since way before i could get my hands on a HD cam
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Leopard has landed. All the Mac users have migrated, except some whose Macs don't match up to the specs, and me.

Adobe does handle HDV.
    A friend of mine got his Premiere recently and they gave him installation discs for BOTH Mac and PC! And he does his work on a PC back home and translate that onto his Mac in office. I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure abt Apple's desktops (we'd pretty much prefer to run just FC express as it's quite punishing to push iMacs/Macbooks to handle FCP).

Anyhow Dave although things might go a little 'slower' with the iMac, I think it's a good interim period to get yourself used to FCP before you go full swing, get the monster and (perhaps) be fully mac'intized!

Time to switch (soon)
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Very quick reply here, I'm having another one of my panic-filled weeks where I can't fit everything in.

I did it - got the iMac as outlined in my last post. Haven't had any time to play with it, but it looks nice

I'll let you know how it goes when I start firing some HDV footage at it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Glad you like it

Keep us posted of your attempts!
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Quick update:
    Tiger ran great (I ran it for about a week to get the feel for it). Then I installed the free upgrade to Leopard and it started crashing about once per day. I wasn't happy but the patch that recently came out seems to have fixed it.

The next problem is the network speed. I can't get above a crawl so I haven't been able to transfer video files between the Mac and PCs. I've decided to do a long-overdue upgrade to a gigabit network and I'll get a local networking guru to come in and tweak the settings. Hopefully I'll be good to go then.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hmm.. Dave, you have Tiger OS too? One suggestion is to run Leopard and not 'upgrade' it... A clean installation seems to be the cure to most of the issues that OS 10.4 - OS 10.5 switchers are facing now...

Mac users alert:
    1. For those on Tiger (like me), there's a new OS update to 10.4.11 and Pro applications 2007-02 update (for FCP studio users)
    2. Updates for Firefox 2.0.0.10 is available (those who are not exactly fans of Safari like me)
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Well it hasn't crashed since installing the 10.5.1 updagade, so hopefully all is good.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

just wait until you get the Mac Pro. as the daughter of a true mac-aholic (dad has at least one of every single mac ever made) i never realised how good they where until i reach high school and started graphic design. suddenly i was having to use 10 steps instead of the mac one. once you cross over you'll never go back i promise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12