Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chris,

Your results are more than "pretty good", so thanks for this further help.

I haven't yet downloaded the Flix Standard, as I want to check with you (or anyone else on the forum who might have knowledge of this) another source that someone recommended: <super© from www.erightsoft.com is free, updates itself regularly with new codecs and converts everything to everyting pretty much. (Including FLV). Highly recommended.>

I've been to the site and it sounds pretty amazing for a free product . . . but then what do I know.

Claire

Hi Claire
    No harm in trying it and see what the results are.
    Dave recommended Flix a while back and I must admit the results are good so I haven't really tried anything else. For the current price of Flix standard I would jump at it anyway as it's well worth the small investment.

Has anyone else used Super for FLV encoding????

Chris

Chris,

<No harm in trying it and see what the results are.>

Right. Only I don't think I can get to any results without someone explaining the menu to me! I'll attach a screen shot of it in case you -- or anyone -- will see at a glance how I proceed with this. (There don't appear to be any instructions.)

Meanwhile, I've also downloaded the MC Player as I really like the look of the screen and playlist area. (There is no graphic to tell me how the Super might look.) Also the MC Player has instructions! I'm thinking I might use the Super for conversion to FLV only.

Claire

Hi Claire
    I had a quick look at super and I really think it's a waste of time!! If you can afford it grab Flix and you will be assured of decent video that people can watch. Super doesn't allow any changes to format or bitrate. I personally wouldn't use it.
    What you do need (and i's free too) is PS Pad to edit your Java file and your playlists. (It's generally a really useful editor too!!!)
    http://www.pspad.com

There is very minor editing to do on the Java file and creating a playlist is just a couple of text lines as Dave explains. If you need help with the files just email me your FLV file names and I'll setup your other files for you.

Chris

Chris,

There are six small downloads on this page http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php
    and then more below. Am I right in thinking it's the six small ones I should download?

New thought: About the editing of the html, will I need the pspad downloads if my web builder is set up as follows:
    . . .To add HTML code to a page:
    1. Choose Web Object... from the Insert menu and select HTML... from the submenu.
    2. The dialog includes one scrolling field for Body code, another for Header code. Enter one or more HTML code fragments into the appropriate field.
    3. If the code calls for external files, use the Add button to locate them. Uncheck Embed files in publication if you want to keep the file(s) separate from your publication file.
    4. Click OK to close the dialog, then click (or click and drag) with the cursor to place the HTML marker on your page.

I vaguely remember, from a long ago website, managing some PayPal html buttons in this way.

Claire
    Last edited by Claire West; 12th Aug 2007 at 02:29.

Hi Claire
    Just download the first one (Installer) and it will then do the installation for you when you run the downloaded file. The others are the same thing in different compressed formats.

Don't use your web editor to try to add html code for the player. It's MUCH more efficient to have just a single code line to embed the player into your page (you can use PSPad for this too) and then use the Javascript file and the playlist to set everything up. Neater and easier and also very simple to change if you have to add more clips too!!!

In the instructions you will see the "html" installation and the "javascript" installation. Use the JavaScript always!!

Chris

Chris,

I deleted the Super from my PC, downloaded the pspad installer and the Flix Standard. However, I am having a meltdown trying to open the Flix, which in spite of my entering my name and serial number correctly, and having the Adobe flash downloaded and opened, refuses to complete the installation. I've sent an email to the company and am now waiting for my son to come over to see if he can figure out if the problem lies with me. All of which is to say that it may take a while for me to check in with you again.

Claire
    Last edited by Claire West; 12th Aug 2007 at 17:27.

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    I had a quick look at super and I really think it's a waste of time!!
    Super isn't a waste of time. It needs improvement, it needs more options, but it is a very functional frontend for quick conversions and for people who do not know how to use the backend apps or just can't seem to get the right options.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Chris,

I have all the software now, but I'm having problems creating the FLVs.

1) I am able to convert my files to MPGs --- but not MPEG2 and I'm not given the option of "without Interlacing" or an aspect ratio of "square pixels." Should I take one of these other formats: WMP, MOV, or AVI?

2) The 512 K is shown in Preset automatically when I select the file for Input, but if I go to Video/Audio and select "Use source video dimensions" then the given number for ratio automatically becomes 320 x 240 and the Preset changes to Customized. (Oddly enough, though, the "Input Property" reads 720 x 480 regardless of what the Preset reads.)

3) Recording under this Customized setting, the result looked a little too wide –stretched out -- and near the end a portion was completely dropped out and there was a sudden jump to the end shot.

3) Before I remembered to use the Video/Audio tab, I encoded the MPG with the 512 in Preset and that result looked great – not stretched wide. But near the end the same portion of the clip was dropped out and there was a sudden jump to the end shot. Do you think the problem is with the Flix encoding or with the conversion to MPG before that?

4) The FLV plays automatically at the end of the encoding. But I can't figure out how to repeat it. And after I've closed down the Flix menu and reopened it, I can't figure out how to see the FLV again. It doesn't work if I bring it into Input and then try to play.

I hope I've been clear about all this and haven't overwhelmed you with so many questions.

Claire

Hi Claire
    Sounds like your problem is with the MPEG file. Whatever you are using to convert it from AVI to MPEG.
    Since they are AVI then you can just import the AVI directly into Flix and it will convert the AVI to FLV. I just use MPEG2 if I'm creating a new video
    from scratch.
    You can also leave it the same size it is but still check "use source video dimensions"

Once you have your FLV, rather preview it in Media Player
    Just make sure that the player, java file, playlist and your flv file are all in the same folder and then create a ultra simple blank webpage and put in the code to embed the player and then run the html file and your video should play in your browser. This way you can check it to see all is OK and you will also see what it will be like in the player.

Just remember to add the video file name in your playlist otherwise the player won't find it and in the Java file set "zoom" to "1" so the video is resized.

Any complicated questions or help with the player files, just email me and I'll edit them for you

Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast