Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chris,

My original files are not AVI, but much-edited projects in Serif MoviePlus with the extension of MVP. Also, I was wrong to say I have no Advanced options in the conversion process. In fact, I found that a selection of MOV would give me the "progressive" choice you mentioned and also the 384 x 288 choice. There is no "square pixel" option, but there is a given of 1.0000 for Pixel Aspect Ratio – if that has any meaning for you. I had a great many options listed for "Template" but I went with "Match Project Settings" which turned out to be "dial up modems." (I hope that doesn't mean any exclusion of broadband!). I set up a 30-second clip per these criteria and entered it on the Flix menu, where I selected "use source video dimensions" – and that made the Preset on the menu change, as it had before, from 512 K Broadband High Video (Flash 8 FLV) to Customized.

I had chosen the 30 seconds from the "bad" part of my original file, the part that was left out of the encoding last time, and that failure happened again. I can't see any problem with the original file, so this has me really worried. Meanwhile though, when the jump to the end was made, the last image was clear and in what seems to be a good ratio: on my monitor about 8.25" x 5.5".

I haven't even begun to follow the rest of your instructions re: uploading to my site as they aren't immediately clear to me and I'll have to spend a while experimenting or possibly writing again to ask questions. But I thought I'd try first to get as far along on these 3 FLV files as possible.

Claire
    Last edited by Claire West; 16th Aug 2007 at 00:42.

Chris,

After playing around a bit more, I found I could play back the first long MPEG conversion (with the bad drop out piece) on Windows Media Player. There the dropped out section played in terms of video and only the audio was gone (in that one section). Does this offer any clues as to the problem? I just can't see anything on my original, Serif file that looks problematic.

Claire

Hi Claire

MPV files are sometime difficult to covert and that may be the problem. Ideally you need AVI or MPEG2 to get best results. You can try it as an MOV file if you want to.
    Before you convert to FLV you do need your source file to be a pretty standard format so the "meta data" part of the clip is recreated.

If you have the original project, maybe try to render them again in a "standard" format??? I'm not familiar with Serif but see if you can render the project as a good ole MPEG2 rather than another format.

Maybe someone else here has had dealings with MPV video files and can offer some help. If you are intending to produce more video, try to get hold of a well known editor (I often recommend Vegas Movie Studio cos it's brilliant value for money)

Chris

Chris,

I looked into Sony Vegas a while back and I do think it's a wonderful program, but the basic version which is the only version I could have afforded offers only four tracks and at times I need six. Also, it's really too late for me to consider yet another huge learning curve. I've been trying to produce this hour-long DVD (parts of which I want to upload to my site as FLV clips) for over a year now, and I still have to go back for some re-filming, so I just couldn't consider learning an entirely new editing program. (You can see, I'm sure, how hard it is for me just to grapple with the learning curve for streaming video.)

Re: alternate formats, I'm afraid the only ones MoviePlus provides for me in terms of exporting -- are those I listed before and I've since tried the avi and the mov and the quality is quite poor in comparison with the MPEG (though given my lack of understanding and experience, this may have something to do with the options I selected), I'm going to stay, for now, with the MPEG and wait until I've actually seen the FLV versions on the player.

I've posted on the MoviePlus forum, explaining the problem with the drop-out during Export, so maybe someone there can help me. I've tried several changes in that section of the clip, but nothing I do makes any difference.

Well, I'm zonked out for tonight, but I'll be in touch soon re: getting the player set up even if I can't yet solve the dropout problem.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Claire

Chris,

I'm making progress. I figured out the reason for the dropout problem (a particularly fussy editing than I was able to simplify) and the FLV results are now looking quite good. For now, I'm sticking to MPEG to FLV, but have tried all three clips in two ways: first with the "use video source dimensions" (which used a Preset of "Customized" and gives the large preview of about 8.25 x 5.5" on my monitor) and also just in case a back-up set of the three with no A/V selected (which leaves the Preset at 512K and gives a small preview pane of about 3.25 x 2.75"). The first three encoded a great deal more slowly than the last three, but I can't say I see a big difference in playback between the two.

I have a first draft of the home page that I hope I've managed to attach. (I thought I had attached the Super menu on a former post, but now I see it never appeared.) I've worked with a 720 width for the Media Player (though I haven't got the actual Player embedded yet). As you can see I want to eliminate the Info Screen and fill the Playlist with both titles and description in selected fonts. Is that possible?

Claire
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Claire

Looking good!!
    To eliminate the info text box and give the entire left hand column to the playlist is simple. Just change the parameter in the Java file called "infotxt"
    and make it infotxt="none" and it will vanish.

Send us the website URL when you are done so we can admire it!!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm still not sure, though, about the question I asked. Let me ask it another way: Will I be able to use my own artwork for the Playlist (color background, my choice of fonts and layout) as opposed to the standard directory style shown in the MC Player literature?

If the answer is no, are there alternative Players that would give me that option?

Claire

Hi Claire
    As far as I know you can only have the standard font and structure in the playlist but why not post in the Media Player forum here and you will get an answer which is accurate. I have not come across any other players with even half the features of this one so standard fonts are a small price to pay. Very neat and interesting website...what's the link????

Chris

Chris,

I will move now to the Media Player forum for more help, but I hope you'll be there as well. If not, though, I have your email to use when I need the Playlist personalized. I've started reading the general directions for the Player and the "Confused Beginner" title on this thread applies more than ever!

I just bought my domain name yesterday and after checking a moment ago, I find that the site is still not available. But even if it were, I won't have anything beyond the home page to upload for some time. The DVD itself may not be finished for another few months. (I'll actually be redoing the "draft" excerpts I upload for the Player as an experiment.) Anyway, when it all happens, the URL will be taichiwest.com

Claire

Hi Claire
    I participate in the Player Forum too!! Just a point, once you have paid for your domain name you DO need to contact your web hosting company and ask them to "point" it to their server (where you will be uploading your website) When they do this it still takes up to 72 hours for the new domain name to be listed with all the DNS servers around the world. It's probably worth putting up your main page on the server anyway so you can be sure everything is working (just add a title to the page..."Coming Soon" and leave it up there...it's good advertising!!

Chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast