Getting an 'asx' file to work in Mozilla

Hello,

I am trying to get an 'asx' file to work in Mozilla.

This is the code I have:

<ASX version="3">
    <Entry>
    <ref href="Living In The Gap 07-29-07.mp3"/>
    </Entry>
    </ASX>

Any idea on what I need to modify? It works fine with Internet Explorer.

Thank you!

Tom
    isabelleslighting.com

Blog Entries
    First thing to do is remove the spaces from the file name. Rename the file to something like Living_In_The_Gap_07-29-07.mp3 or LivingInTheGap07-29-07.mp3.

This is very important - do the same for all files you use for your website - HTML files, images, everything. Even if it looks ok to you with spaces, it will cause problems. You need to make this a 100% consistent habit.

If it still doesn't work let me know and I'll have a closer look for other problems.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work.

This is my test page: http://www.isabelleslighting.com/test/

Check it out and let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you!

Tom

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    First thing to do is remove the spaces from the file name. Rename the file to something like Living_In_The_Gap_07-29-07.mp3 or LivingInTheGap07-29-07.mp3.

This is very important - do the same for all files you use for your website - HTML files, images, everything. Even if it looks ok to you with spaces, it will cause problems. You need to make this a 100% consistent habit.

If it still doesn't work let me know and I'll have a closer look for other problems.

dear Mr. or Mrs. Isabelle;

Regarding to your medium related problem I have conducted a small search on the web so I could provide you with specific and working examples such as the followings:

As you can see, one of the above ain't working while its alternative is shaking the room provided that you have the appropriate sound devices tuned for high decibels.

The servers generally have built-in HTTP streaming capability for various multimedia files. WMA of Microsoft, MP3 of MPEG, RAM of Real are among those audio transfering media. Yet, different types of media require different link syntax on the websites. Just as Dave have previously suggested, - and again thanks to his and his brother's efforts keeping this great web site (for years), we do need to trim all the whitespaces, or say, the blank characters from the filenames for THEY SURE are CANONICALs, that is they shoot errors at us freely Thanks to the streaming on windows media page and Wikipedia definition of Advanced Stream Redirector (besides the Australian Stock Exchange information with the same abbreviation while Googling at lightning speed ) both the ASX and associated ASF files looked no sinful to me, especially if I can't say my hosting server is Windows rather than Linux, and the web server software installed on it does see my ASX files ensuring how to retreat them once it encountered any. As in my case I have hosted those files on a LINUX where the Apache web server did not aware what kind of MIME type our ASX's could possibly have. Instead, I have successfuly created a simple M3U alternative to it to trigger the assoc.'d mp3's and I believe you enjoyed, or enjoying, or will enjoy those Turkish music of my choice.

In conclusion;
    many media types like MP3, Windows Media, Real Audio, and even Video, they need a seperate file, called a META file, in order to tell the server "just don't start a download but serve this as streaming media" .The media files are our ordinary audio files to sream, and the metafiles like ASX, M3U are just simple text files. Actually the ASX seems to be in a valid, syntax-checked, XML file format.

with my best regards;
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Hi kunter,

Thank you for your reply!

What code do I use to create an msu file? I assume, like the asx file, I make sure they reside in the same website folder and the msu file contains text indicating the path to the original mp3 file. Correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Tom Isabelle

PS I like your tunes!

M3U format

hello again;

Before starting my explanation, there is no MSU file I have mentionned; it is just a text file with M3U extension.

Just open your notepad and type the EXACT URL's of mp3 files "line-by-line" ....

Code:
    http://www.kunterilalan.com/home/sound/tur/Demet_Akalın_Tatil.mp3
    http://www.kunterilalan.com/home/sound/tur/other.mp3
    http://www.kunterilalan.com/home/sound/tur/some_other.mp3
    ... [as many lines as you wish]

Now SAVE this file AS BLAH.M3U and direct your HTML anchors [links] onto that file. So far so easy, and that was all

do not forget that serving music is an expensive public service unless your web hosting plan is on a server with UNLIMITED internet bandwidth plugged to it.

On my never-finishing IE6-only website has a GROOVE page where I have someother approach to these "streaming sound" matters. I'm sure you'd like to implement such iPod's (or similar themes in Flash) in your web pages too.

best regards;
    kunter.
    Last edited by kunter; 21st Aug 2007 at 22:45.

Hi kunter,

Thank you, but my original problem still exists. I need to stream an audio file using Mozilla Firefox. It seems hopeless.

In fact, one site I visited in an aimless Google search stated, "You must use Internet Explorer (IE) as your web browser. Streaming audio presentations cannot be opened by Netscape Navigator, AOL, Mozilla, or other web browsers." (source: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=7&gl=us)

It just seems strange to me that Mozilla has no way of streaming an audio file.

Please let me know if you know how, if I am wrong.

Best,

Tom Isabelle
    www.isabelleslighting.com

Hi again;

The first thing to remember: your browser is not responsible for streaming.. that is the web server's job. Contact your ISP in case you believe neither ASX nor M3U solutions solve your streaming needs.

Moreover; the browsers also do not interfere with the incoming streaming files, instead, your favourite MP3 player opens up and starts playing. As far as I know, Mozilla has no way of streaming an audio file.

Please connect to my personal web site using IE6 - since the necessary patches are missing for MOZILLA browsers ( I know, I know ..) You'll see the iPod there opening up at the time you have entered to page. To become a 3rd alternative for your audio needs, such FLASH-based solutions are easy to find, easy to install audio streamers, begun to be quite popular in the world wide web today.
    Last edited by kunter; 22nd Aug 2007 at 21:36.

Thank you!