Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Confused Beginner

I want to install on my website three video fragments (ranging from 3 to 7 minutes) to be offered to visitors in a streaming format (the three being located in different areas of my website.) I have exported these fragments, changing from an avi extension format to wmp format. I have both Windows Media Player and RealPlayer (simple, free versions) installed on my computer. If I have sufficient bandwidth for my website, will this be all that I need? When I read about streaming video and see things like "video hosting" I get confused and wonder if I need expensive software or a special management company.

Claire

Hi Claire

Use Dave's free Media Player from here and make all your clips FLV files.
    You will not regret it and the quality of flash FLV's is excellent too!!!

Take a look at my standard clips using the player at the link below. Windows Media Player and Real Player don't even compare!!!!

http://www.diyvideo.biz

Chris

Confused Beginner

Chris,

Thanks for your response. I had posted a reply that I'm now rewriting because I think now the 4 x 3 format of my clips will look fine on the widescreen MC Player. Once I've downloaded, will I have what I need to convert those clips to FLV's or will that require additional software?

Claire
    Last edited by Claire West; 9th Aug 2007 at 17:55.

Yet more questions:

1) Can I assume that the MC Player-supported videos on my website will work equally well on all the common browsers that people use (I use Firefox).

2) Can I assume that it won't matter what players are installed in the computers of the visitors to my site?

Thanks,

Claire

I just found this in the Help Center for my web host (Blue Host)

<(Re: FLV) You must have Macromedia Flash Media Server available if you select this option. The user must have Flash Player 6 (or greater) installed to see your video, assuming it uses the Sorenson Spark codec. This option will not work with bluehost as we do not have Flash Media Servers.>

It seems I won't be able to use MC Player -- or any Flash Player with this host. Does anyone know of a comparable product -- easy to use and good quality -- to recommend to me. (I'm under contract with this web host.)

Claire

Hi Claire

99% of users have flash installed (I have yet to find anyone that doesn't, actually) No, you do not have to have anything else installed on your server. The Media Player will do everything for you and works with all browsers I have come across. The link I gave you is a dead standard web hosting company and NO special software is installed on the server. I just upload the media player with it's own js and xml file (which Dave will include in his free download) and add your FLV files and it will work!!

I however do suggest that you use a decent package to convert your AVI files to flash FLV format. Suggested is Flix Pro from ON2 technologies which is easily obtainable.

Seriously Dave's Player is the easiest and most professional way to host online video. I suggest you download the player and upload it to your web host and give it a try.

Dave also will assist you if you have problems but is is a busy man.

If you want others to check that your player is working, just post a link here and plenty of people will check it for you

Chris

Chris,

Thank you so much for the detailed response and the encouragement to go ahead with Dave's player.

I need to ask about the Flix product, however, because the cost is very high for me and I'm wondering if I really need the "Pro" (at $249) as opposed to the Standard (at $39). They also have something called Flix Engine which looks like it might work for me, though I don't see a price on that:
    http://www.flix.on2.com/

Claire

Hi Claire

Flix Standard works fine. The pro version allows 2 pass encoding (which I don't use anyway) and lots of editing (I also don't use)
    It will let you convert an AVI file to a Flash 8 FLV file which is all you really need!!!
    When you use Flix just go to the "Video/Audio" tab after selecting the output file as a Flash 8 512K and check the "Use source video dimensions" otherwise it makes a pretty small file!!!
    Download Dave's player and read his instructions carefully and you will have no problem at all with putting your clips on line.

If you need any help apart from the forum posts you can also email me at :

strain@iinet.net.au

Otherwise a browse thru the Media Player section of this forum is also useful and Dave visits and answers questions whenever he can .

Post your link and we will check it out when you are ready

Chris

Thanks, Chris, for the additional tips and esp. for offering your own email addy. I hope to get started this weekend, but I'm already getting overwhelmed with other demands on my time, so it may be next weekend before I write again. Meanwhile, is AVI the intermediary file you recommend on the way to FLV? I ask, because my movie editing software allows me to export to avi, mpeg,mov and wmp.

Claire

Hi Claire

No not really!! I actually make up my clip as an MPEG2 video and then import that into Flix and output the final file as a Flash 8 FLV at 512K and the results are pretty good. Ideally make your MPEG2 video the same size as the player ie: if it's wide screen render the MPEG2 as a 480x288 video otherwise try to make the clip as close to the player size if the aspect ratio is standard ie: 4:3 say 384x288 for normal video.
    You will get better results overall by also making your MPEG2 without interlacing (ie: progessive) and choose an aspect ratio of "square pixels" rather than 4:3 or 16:9 because your clip is running on a computer.

I use Sony Vegas for my editing so your settings may be different of course. If necessary make up a really tiny clip first (say 30 seconds) and try different settings to see what looks best!!

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast