Voice-over mic upgrade?

I've been using a Shure SM58 mic for voice-overs, but I'm thinking of upgrading. This is mainly because the Sennheiser mic I occasionally use at the local radio station has a noticeably warmer quality. I've been looking at a Shure KSM32/SL and the Audio-Technica AT4047SV. They're both about $500. Does anybody have any experience with either of these mics? An opinion as to which is best? A different mic I should consider? And most importantly, do you think I'm going to get noticeably richer voice-overs with any of these as compared to my trusty old SM58? Thanks.

moving to any studio condenser would make your voiceovers hella better than a sm57

an sm57 is a stage mic

id say, for low end, you could get off with a good at2020, or you could get the at2020 and the at2021 pack, and youll have 2 mics that are great for video, ones made for vocals, ones made for everything else *i like to have the at2021 hidden on set sometimes, gets great sound for cheap*

if you want some better vocals, heres where it gets tricky. its really about the rodes ntk and the studio projects . The c1 is sometimes refered to as the holy grail of recording, lots of people love its presentness and its bright color to it, but some people dont. the c1 is $300 cheaper though, and since its a great microphone, oftenly compared to the u87 *$2000*, its a good buy. Matters about the sound though, the warmest in the price range is probubly the at4047, one step up from the 2020, but might be too warm for video

the 2020 works just fine though for good voice overs, it even works fine for vocals for music, you just need a good preamp infront if your going to use it for music *even though it sounds pretty good without it, surprizingly*

mic choices expanding

Rackdude,
    I sure appreciate your input.
    The advantages I'm looking for are improved voice-over quality, plus the ability to choose pick-up patterns. So I can use cardioid for one person, figure 8 for a two-person dialogue or interview, or omni for like crowd sounds.
    I'm currently being advised to choose between the Shure KSM44/SL and the AKG C414 XL2 and the M-audio Sputnik. I'm told that all three of these are superior to the Rode NTK.
    The Shure setup (mic, shockmount, case) is $740, the AKG is $840 the M-audio Sputnik is $599.
    What's your opinion? Thanks again.

If you are gonna be in that price range, I'd go with the neumann, those are the best mics you can get, their low end mic is $1000

other than that, I'd say stick to the studio projects c1 or the at2020

no reason to go inbetween when buying mics
    you either have a mic made for the function, so its good enough for the audience's ears, or you have the best mic money can buy

picking the middle of that would just mean the audience wont hear the difference from a $200 cheaper mic, and you will still have to upgrade to a neumann in the long run for $2000 *its the best vocal mic, most used with song vocals, so the quality on something like that just shines*

Rackdude,
    I think I'm going to go with the Studio Projects C1. I'm trying to get close to the sound quality of the old (very old) Sennheiser they have at the radio station, but if I can't do that for less than $1,000, I better wait til I have that kind of budget. In the meantime, the C1 looks like a pretty good upgrade from my SM58, and once again, thanks so much for taking the time to give me your professional guidance.

good choice, its a great mic and you'll only hear good things about it online, and you'll hear people that say it might be way over hyped, but thats because they say the $200 mic is better than any other mic, idk if thats true, but its sure a good mic, nice and bright

I have played with my new Studio Projects mic and I think I sound just as good as any on-air talk radio host with it. I'm being really conservative with the adjustments in my Mackie 1202 mixer and the result is warm and full and a huge improvement over what I got with my Shure sm58. I still like the Shure for live, on-site or on-stage use, but thanks again for leading me to my first real studio mic.

The KSM32 is a great mic, and I've had it on my want list since they came out. Guitar Center flew us out to Los Angeles for some Shure training about the time they released the KSM32, and we did a blind listening test between that and the U87. I don't remember all the details of the test since that was over seven years ago, but I do remember that about half the room preferred the KSM32 and for the price compared to the U87 that ain't bad. Something else that I remembered from that training is that Shure drop tests all their mics from six feet... including their studio mics. Durable, great sound, and inexpensive (comparitively speaking). What more could you ask for?

On a side note, I've seen the KSM32 used in large concert tours as well. That was primarily to mic things like guitar cabs, but it will also give you an impression of the beatings they'll stand up to on the road.

Any condenser mic is likely to give you a better sound than a dynamic mic, when you're talking about vocals. Condensers normally give you better clarity as well as no proximity effect. I'm sure there may be exceptions to that, but can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment.

The KSM32 costs more than twice what the Studio Projects mic cost me. If you'll read earlier in this thread you'll see the input that led me to choose the SP.

Yeah, ignore me. While I still stand by what I said about the KSM32 being a good mic, I hadn't initially paid attention to the full thread before posting. That's what I get for trying to skim through half a dozen forum websites. Glad you found something you like though.