Microsync ES-2200SS question

What do these do.......?

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I am a computer tech that due to a co-worker quitting is now also managing the Public Access TV Station my municipality runs!

We have Parkervision CameraMan System II's that run into the DPS then to the preview monitor then the video toaster. But these things are never turned on, so I wonder if I even need them ever?

I am attempting to figure out alot of our equipment, and get rid of some of it, that we never seem to use, and some of its broken, so I can figure it all out and replace some of it. The studio is overful and I am trying to sort that out too!

Any help would be appreciated!

well wow.....this is not an easy question, well not easy to answer it to where i think you may understand the answer......

"AES to Analog Converter" is what it does

A new type of digital-to-analog converter has been developed whose output samples are quantized in both amplitude and time. This method provides a flexible and effective means of controlling both conversion precision and sampling rate in accordance with a particular application.

there are a few engineers that may be able to put it in eaiser terms. the one you are asking about are about 2k new
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

thanks for the reply!

I got an email back from friend that had this to say, think you could weight your opinion on his information?

Your cameras are all said to be "Freewheeling". Each running on it's own internal clock.

May never be an issue if everything shot goes live out on the air, and you are just switching from camera to camera on broadcast, or the tape is made from the live switching.

Becomes an issue if you try to edit a single take from footage shot on 2 or more cameras, and you go to cut away from camera 1 at 5 minutes in, to go to camera 3... only to find out the tape transport attached to camera 3 was running 2% faster, and at that point the footage from camera 3 is actually at more like 5 1/2 minutes into the shoot. And maybe camera 2 is running slightly slower... so at that point you are actually at 4:45...
    We broadcase meetings live, and the 'tape' is recorded to the HD(a Leightronics Nexus) is of whatever we braodcast(ie whatever comes out of the computer running VT4 software? and possibly hardware I havent been behind that rack much yet), we dont save them all and compile them. to make a meeting tape.

What is your current setup and which things don't you use? It's a bit unclear from what you posted.
    (also, which Video Toaster system? 2000? 4000? 4000+Flyer? VTNT[2/3/4] (and which board, with or without the BOB)?)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

we use VT[4](VTNT4?)

I don't know what a BOB is

The cameras go into small monitors then into teh board for VT4 then to the computer running the VT4 software.

the camera were going into the microsync's but I removed them (atleast for now, tracking down lots of wiring so its easier with them out of the way).

There were also outputs from the microsync to some videotek VDA-16A's. But the only output from them was to a cable that just ended in the floor near nothing, so those were removed as well.