Thread: Audio Feeds

Audio Feeds

Hello all, I've got a question that someone hopefully might be able to answer. I've got an upcoming shoot that I will need to get an audio feed for. There'll be a speaker at a podium that a number of other camera operators will be shooting as well. We'll have a feed that I think we can plug into (so it's not a place your mike at the podium type thing). I'm pretty sure also that it's not a XLR run to the audio board, I think I'll have some type of wireless configuration. Is there any way of getting a feed without using a plug-on Transmitter? I've used those before (the Lectrosonics variety) but I don't think I'll have that either in the package....any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

No ideas?

Another New Member
    I have not used a setup like you describe, but i do know this. if your run wireless, you must have a transmitter and a receiver. you must have a transmitter wired to the podium microphone feed, and a receiver hooked to the camera. you can have the receiver mounted to your body, and a wire to the camera, or a receiver mounted to the camera.
    if you do not run wireless you must have a cable from the podium feed to your camera, or you can use the onboard mic on the camera.
    hint: the onboard mic will give substandard results.
    if the connector is the wrong type, you can get the appropriate adapter.

this is my opinion, and not necessarily anything to do with reality

id say mic the podium, either have a miced podium, and use a wire to get the signal to the camera, probubly cheapest

if you cant show a mic on the podium, you can have a schoeps on the podium, there are ways to have the capsole sepperated from the powering module, so it wouldnt be noticable, but it would be expensive to get a schoeps.

Or you can lav the speaker, if your allowed to, for about $200

how much do you have to hide the mic?

what do you mean there is no xlr to run to the audio board? if you have everything going to a mixer, just use one of the out feeds, and use a trs to xlr cable, that could go into the cameras, or record the feed off the mixer directly by using a firewire mixer

i need to know what you can do, and what you mean by the xlr comment

Quote: vidrunner
    View Post
    There'll be a speaker at a podium that a number of other camera operators will be shooting as well. We'll have a feed that I think we can plug into
    Are you all on the same crew or are you shooting separately for different things?
    If you are on the same crew, are you just trying to sync audio between cameras or just record on one?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi there.

I'd just like to enquire why you are not keen in taking the line-out from the audio board.
    Is it just because there is no XLR out? If not what is the output in (only other logical one is a 1/4" plug)?
    Or are you too far from the audio board to patch your audio?

If it is really abt a different plug, and in this case a 1/4" I'd suggest you go get yourself a DI box (ones musicians use to balance their output from their instruments to ground the signals). I dun think it cost more than 100 bucks.

The fact that other operators are shooting means lots of wireless used? Although it is all too rare that your signals will cross (if u use wireless), what for for the extra mile and cost in this setup?

Quick thoughts. Time for me to go to work.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore