Thread: Question

Question

Hey folks! Just wondering if anybody has ever worked in the industry in New York? I'm from Ireland but im thinkin maybe going to new york to see what kind of job i could get there.Does anyone know what the situation is greencard/visa/sponsorship to stay there maybe a year?

Sorry, I'm just a train ride (or if I really feel like it, a long walk) away from NYC, so I can't help you with the greencard/visa issues. Depending on what part of the industry you want to work in, you may want to be unionized, there may be jobs available straight away as well. NBC Universal is always hiring people for various positions in the Fort Lee/Englewood areas of New Jersey (just across the Hudson river) and you may want to look into these, as the jobs actually in the city seem to fill much quicker.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I know if you are looking to go to NYC for a job in the TV/Advertisng/Film industry, you best get a job BEFORE you just "show up" I have had a few gigs there and there is NO WAY you are just showing up and walking into WCBS and telling the receptionist the you need a job.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    I know if you are looking to go to NYC for a job in the TV/Advertisng/Film industry, you best get a job BEFORE you just "show up" I have had a few gigs there and there is NO WAY you are just showing up and walking into WCBS and telling the receptionist the you need a job.
    Big city bring big competition, more work and little money but giving you chance to change. Everything is up to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote: orla
    View Post
    Does anyone know what the situation is greencard/visa/sponsorship to stay there maybe a year?
    Hello orla,
    If you're referring to the TV/Cable/Broadcast industry, I don't believe the related companies will recruit potential workers outside of the US. There's so many available workers, unless you have a particular skill that is not found/available in the US, only then would a particular company go through paperwork to make you a permenant resident.

The medical industry so far will recruit foreign college grads (as docotors and nurses, who pass the necessary exams) and the hospitals themselves will work to make them permanent because of the industry's need.

I know to apply as an immigrant will take years, so your better off making it big else where (Canada, UK, Middle East etc.) until you get to work here legally and of your own merits.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.