live video stream (generate time delay)

Hi all,
    I'm streaming video to many clients, but some of them are 10 hours behind the time zone in which the event is happening, so I would like to let them view the stream in their local time. For this I tried to create a delay in the stream but with no success. The software platform I'm using is Helix Producer for encoding and Helix Server for media streaming.

Any ideas how can I provide the client something like "time zone selection"?

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if you are trying to show the video at a different time for different users, or if you want to broadcast to everyone simultaneously but have different times displayed for different users.

If you want to delay the actual video broadcast, the best solution is simply to make an archived version available for them to view at their leisure.

If you want to display user's local time, my only suggestion would be to use a separate script to do this somewhere on the web page. Of course the easiest solution would be to point them to www.timeanddate.com so they can figure it out themselves but that's not very elegant.

For what it's worth, I'm in New Zealand and I often watch webcasts in different time zones. It's no big deal having to figure out the time zone difference. I guess it depends whether your users are used to having to do this or not.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

For start, I would be happy If I manage to delay a single stream for a certain amount of time.

I also got to the idea to archive the stream and then to play the archived stream, but Helix server doesn't allow viewing of the archive while it is still archiving , so the archive is not view-able.

My problem is not to discover the time difference, but how to delay the stream. It would be a user preference to set its time zone or not, so I'm not really interested in time zone shifting if the user hasn't requested it.

Are you aware if Windows Media Server allows playback of the live archive ?

Blog Entries
    I see your problem. I wish I had a good answer but sadly I don't.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com